Powerstruck Chip

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Not your thread! Complain to him not Powerstroke Army!

Not my thread...Ok moron.

The point of a thread is to discuss the same topic in one place. My info is not to complain, its to let others who may be interested in this product that they should be careful of what they are getting into. Its to let them know that Powerstruck is taking people's money and not delivering a service or product. It to let others know he is giving us all the same damn excusesd. This thread started due to the OP having issues getting his product from Powerstruck. Seems to be a common issue lately.

As I stated I have contacted him numerous times. How do I complain to him if he cant answer the phone or respond to emails.

If your cool with this kind of customer service then please continue to strap them knee pads on and get to work.

TheBigRig

Reaction score
If your cool with this kind of customer service then please continue to strap them knee pads on and get to work.

Hahaha I like your analogy. Are you giving Justin a call at the right time? I am usually able to reach him around 1:00 PST, being that he is an east coast company. He has really helped me out lately, and Ill give him the benefit of the doubt for the excuses because if his lap top truely did crash thats a tough thing to come back from as far as data is concerned. From our talks on the phone he seems like a pretty genuine guy.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Hahaha I like your analogy. Are you giving Justin a call at the right time? I am usually able to reach him around 1:00 PST, being that he is an east coast company. He has really helped me out lately, and Ill give him the benefit of the doubt for the excuses because if his lap top truely did crash thats a tough thing to come back from as far as data is concerned. From our talks on the phone he seems like a pretty genuine guy.

Ive called him morning, afternoon and evening, along with emails that can be reviewed and answered at any time of day. I was actually able to get him to pick up today and we had a good conversation. Were working on a solution and should be data logging next week to see if things have improved.

Ive been working with him for 6 months now trying to get some revisions so its been a bit of a ride. Im patient and sometimes too patient. I acknowledge the fact that he is super busy but at that point I believe its time to consider help. Maybe just part time help is all he needs but he needs something.

When I see others posting about similar issues pertaining to customer service I feel it is good for people to post their experiences. It's how we learn who to work with and who not to work with.

Justin is a good guy, I can say that. I believe he just needs to step up his game in the Customer Service Dpt if he want to be a big name in the future.

dadada

Reaction score
Not my thread...Ok moron.

The point of a thread is to discuss the same topic in one place. My info is not to complain, its to let others who may be interested in this product that they should be careful of what they are getting into. Its to let them know that Powerstruck is taking people's money and not delivering a service or product. It to let others know he is giving us all the same damn excusesd. This thread started due to the OP having issues getting his product from Powerstruck. Seems to be a common issue lately.

As I stated I have contacted him numerous times. How do I complain to him if he cant answer the phone or respond to emails.

Really? Moron? Grow up! He answered the phone for you. Now did you do all your complaining to him while you were on the phone? Or you just gonna go on and on about how he needs more help here and more help there? He's had trouble in the past trying to get help. Posted on the forums that he's hiring, offering to send people and even pay them to get ase certified and still can't get help. Dude works 7 days a week from dark to dark not only trying to take care of his Powerstruck customers but running a Ford dealership. He is the only salesman at the dealership. Yeah, his hands are full but for you to get on the forum and gripe about him needing part time or full time help. You have no freaking idea. Put his shoes on then you'll realize why some emails take awhile to get answered, why phone calls aren't answered day and night. He doesn't have a receptionist, he is the receptionist. Mechanics, he works out in the shop too, everyday. When you do get ahold of him. He does make it right, always does. I know him personally and I will defend him all day long cause I know his situation and what he goes through everyday. And I'm the moron? If all you want to do is bash his customer service, then take your service somewhere else cause there are other tuners out there. I said my peace so I'm done with the thread. Good luck with Powerstruck boys!

lightning95

Reaction score
Update: Recieved my Hydra today. Programmed the stock tunes from PHP. The truck starts great in every tune. Has trouble going from the DD tune to Stock tune. Stalls out the truck and throws a bunch of codes, but it usually keeps running after it figures itself out. Didn't get a chance to drive it with these base tunes. Unfortunately for my truck being CA emissions it only had the 80DD 65Tow and 100Race. Gave Justin a call and told him what code I was running and now he's making up some good tunes for me. I did however put it into 100 race tune on smashed the throttle. Blew a bunch of smoke in the parking lot. Was really satisfying :D. Dont get me wrong though Im not a routine smoker. :p

I had the same problem with my truck being CA also. He tuned mine on a different hex code. It runs great but it stalls going from the generic Hydra tune To the Powerstruck tunes with a different hex code. I was warned about that from the beginning though. I also have Hydra canned tunes with a different Hex code for the 120 race setting.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Really? Moron? Grow up! He answered the phone for you. Now did you do all your complaining to him while you were on the phone? Or you just gonna go on and on about how he needs more help here and more help there? He's had trouble in the past trying to get help. Posted on the forums that he's hiring, offering to send people and even pay them to get ase certified and still can't get help. Dude works 7 days a week from dark to dark not only trying to take care of his Powerstruck customers but running a Ford dealership. He is the only salesman at the dealership. Yeah, his hands are full but for you to get on the forum and gripe about him needing part time or full time help. You have no freaking idea. Put his shoes on then you'll realize why some emails take awhile to get answered, why phone calls aren't answered day and night. He doesn't have a receptionist, he is the receptionist. Mechanics, he works out in the shop too, everyday. When you do get ahold of him. He does make it right, always does. I know him personally and I will defend him all day long cause I know his situation and what he goes through everyday. And I'm the moron? If all you want to do is bash his customer service, then take your service somewhere else cause there are other tuners out there. I said my peace so I'm done with the thread. Good luck with Powerstruck boys!

I dont think your post is helping Justin in any way. Stating he works 7 days a week from dark to dark and still insisting he doesn't need help is asinine. Your just reinforcing the fact that he needs help.

There are plenty of ASE certified mechanics out there who im sure would love to get out of boring dealer warranty work for some fun performance projects. Him not able to trust others is a personal problem that is only hindering his opportunity to grow.

I work for a $100 billion retail company at #2 in the world. I know exactly what customer service is and what customers deserve. I like to think his shoes would be way to small for me.

To take my service somewhere else I would have to walk away from money I put down up front. I wont ever do that. Im not entirely sure why you feel I am bashing his customer service when all I've done is post a review of my personal experience. Are we only supposed to post positive reviews on here? You probably think the loosing team deserves a trophy too...

dadada

Reaction score
I dont think your post is helping Justin in any way. Stating he works 7 days a week from dark to dark and still insisting he doesn't need help is asinine. Your just reinforcing the fact that he needs help.

There are plenty of ASE certified mechanics out there who im sure would love to get out of boring dealer warranty work for some fun performance projects. Him not able to trust others is a personal problem that is only hindering his opportunity to grow.

I work for a $100 billion retail company at #2 in the world. I know exactly what customer service is and what customers deserve. I like to think his shoes would be way to small for me.

To take my service somewhere else I would have to walk away from money I put down up front. I wont ever do that. Im not entirely sure why you feel I am bashing his customer service when all I've done is post a review of my personal experience. Are we only supposed to post positive reviews on here? You probably think the loosing team deserves a trophy too...
You are 100% correct with those statements. And such knowledge of your customer service, I'm impressed. One hundred billion dollar company, heck your probably throwing money away. What's a couple hundred bucks? In all reality, you have no idea. No idea whatsoever. I realized a long time ago that you can never argue with arrogance or a no it all. You show me a perfect business and I will show you a perfect world!

TheBigRig

Reaction score
Update: Been using the hydra box tunes. So far not impressed. Makes the truck run rough in my opinion, where as Justins tunes were smooth as butter. Also the hydra tunes are awfully smokey. That could be from the GTP38R though. Also threw a check engine light on a 5th gear pull. Thought I had gotten rid of that problem with the last chip, but the hydra tune brought it back. Dont have my code checker to see but I would imagine its that oil pressure uncontrollable code.

I believe I do still have a little bit of a starting issue which could be attributed to something else being wrong in the truck. Justins tunes would take longer to crank and fire than stock would, and would let out a large puff of smoke. And if it were colder it wouldnt fire at all. With the Hydra box tune if its warmer out it starts alright, but when its colder it cranks and then begins to fire on what sounds like less than 8 cylinders. Smokes like a pig until it gets going. And by colder im saying like 40-50. Nothing extreme.

Ive noticed that the hydra tunes are really rough on letting off or getting on the throttle. Could it be that their tuned for an automatic trans and I have a manual? Making that sharp jerk on letting off or accelerating.

79jasper

Reaction score
Imo, sounds like you could have the wrong hex tunes.
Can't see what year truck you have, but the engine light could be over boost.
I'll agree that they're smokey though. Even on my 94. "With injectors so small it will never smoke."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
I'd double check the hex code, remember when inputting your pcm code, it'll tell you your hex code as well as any hex codes that they deem to be better!

TBH it also sounds like something else is going on though...

TheBigRig

Reaction score
IMAG0800.jpg

This is what it spit out for me. Seems to be just one hex code, unless im using it wrong.

Heres something interesting, let me know if this could be an issue. The truck is a late 99 but the original engine (in the PO's hands) grenaded. So it was swapped out with a 2001 7.3l. Could this have made a difference? As far as I know all accessories are original to the truck I believe it was just a short block swap. Still a forged rod motor though.

Also for the longest time the truck always had a glow plug code. Cant remember exactly the numbers but it went away on its own. So I never bothered to dig any deeper into that one. I may have to look into it now since I just moved to an area where the winters ACTUALY get cold as opposed to the sunny coast of california where I came from.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
View attachment 39839

This is what it spit out for me. Seems to be just one hex code, unless im using it wrong.

Heres something interesting, let me know if this could be an issue. The truck is a late 99 but the original engine (in the PO's hands) grenaded. So it was swapped out with a 2001 7.3l. Could this have made a difference? As far as I know all accessories are original to the truck I believe it was just a short block swap. Still a forged rod motor though.

Also for the longest time the truck always had a glow plug code. Cant remember exactly the numbers but it went away on its own. So I never bothered to dig any deeper into that one. I may have to look into it now since I just moved to an area where the winters ACTUALY get cold as opposed to the sunny coast of california where I came from.

Your PCM is a DPC-431, making it a mid-year 99 California model with a manual transmission. Just about the strangest build of them all. It should have a glow plug relay with a shunt on it to monitor the glow plug banks via the PCM. It is likely that this shunt is not there now since you swapped engines, and that is the cause for your glow plug codes. I am just guessing here, as I do not know that codes you threw.

Here is a pic of what the gp relay should look like if it has that PCM code.

cali1999_zpsig8kjoeg.jpg

A lot of tuners may not even have tunes available for that family. We do, but I know a lot of guys don't.

TheBigRig

Reaction score
mid-year 99 California model with a manual transmission. Just about the strangest build of them all.

A lot of tuners may not even have tunes available for that family. We do, but I know a lot of guys don't.

LOL LOL LOL

Do you tune Hydras? What would 1 or 2 tunes cost for a hydra if you do.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
LOL LOL LOL

Do you tune Hydras? What would 1 or 2 tunes cost for a hydra if you do.

Yeah, it is definitely an odd ball. Just like a early model 2000 Excursion with the glow plug relay and shunt (DPC-432).

Sorry, but we do not write tunes for the Hydra. Only our own tuners (F5, F6, Infinity), TS chips, SCT devices, and Bully Dog devices.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Justin is extremely busy. He has had my truck for the past 9 weeks trying to install the parts listed in my signature. I believe he may have finally found someone to answer the phone for him so he can work instead of answering complaint phone calls all day. His only real mechanic has had pneumonia the past two weeks. Yes i agree there are a lot of excuses but he is simply understaffed. I will back his work and cant wait for my truck to be done. I am glad I chose him to build my truck, but i also knew the downtime that would come with it from picking him.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, you don't want to go from "00" to a performance tune. If the calibration stored on the PCM doesn't exactly match the tunes on the chip (ie. PCM is an NVK4/VNAA8U5 and the tunes are PMT1/VRAA6S3) you can end up stalling out or experience stumbling for a few moments as the PCM basically reboots. This concern does not occur when going from a tuned level to "00" as the key needs to be cycled before the "00" position will actually engage. The "nS" (No-Start) position also needs to be latched through a key cycle as well, to prevent accidental stalling when driving.

I hope this is helpful.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Yeah, it is definitely an odd ball. Just like a early model 2000 Excursion with the glow plug relay and shunt (DPC-432).

Sorry, but we do not write tunes for the Hydra. Only our own tuners (F5, F6, Infinity), TS chips, SCT devices, and Bully Dog devices.

Have them send you files for a TS chip. They load on the Hydra just fine. :thumbsup:

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Update: Been using the hydra box tunes. So far not impressed. Makes the truck run rough in my opinion, where as Justins tunes were smooth as butter. Also the hydra tunes are awfully smokey. That could be from the GTP38R though. Also threw a check engine light on a 5th gear pull. Thought I had gotten rid of that problem with the last chip, but the hydra tune brought it back. Dont have my code checker to see but I would imagine its that oil pressure uncontrollable code.

I believe I do still have a little bit of a starting issue which could be attributed to something else being wrong in the truck. Justins tunes would take longer to crank and fire than stock would, and would let out a large puff of smoke. And if it were colder it wouldnt fire at all. With the Hydra box tune if its warmer out it starts alright, but when its colder it cranks and then begins to fire on what sounds like less than 8 cylinders. Smokes like a pig until it gets going. And by colder im saying like 40-50. Nothing extreme.

Ive noticed that the hydra tunes are really rough on letting off or getting on the throttle. Could it be that their tuned for an automatic trans and I have a manual? Making that sharp jerk on letting off or accelerating.

What are the tunes you're using? We'd be happy to take a look at what you've got and see if there are any updates available. Some of the less common tunes may not be updated as frequently as others, especially if we don't hear of any complaints from anyone. Also, if there is a recommended calibration that fits a specific family, those tunes will get more frequent updates than the less common ones.

Feel free to give me a shout at the office and I'll be happy to get a look at them today. (678) 890-1110. :D

Take care.

TheBigRig

Reaction score
What are the tunes you're using? We'd be happy to take a look at what you've got and see if there are any updates available. Some of the less common tunes may not be updated as frequently as others, especially if we don't hear of any complaints from anyone. Also, if there is a recommended calibration that fits a specific family, those tunes will get more frequent updates than the less common ones.

Feel free to give me a shout at the office and I'll be happy to get a look at them today. (678) 890-1110. :D

Take care.

Gave Phil at PHP a call. He gave me a new calibration to test in the truck. So once it stops dumping rain out here Ill take the lap top out to the truck and get these new tunes loaded in and see how she runs. Then ill confirm with Phil and he can recommend these calibrations as a replacement for the VKAE calibrations that Im using.

Good guys over there at PHP :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online