preventing early 08 valve issues before they start.

dsberman94

Reaction score
so we have to do headgaskets and studs in a 6.4. its an early 08 as the title says. IIRC it is the early 08 motors that have the issue with the valve failing. how can we avoid this since were going to be in there anyway. what valves should be purchased to prevent this. also being installed is highrev valve springs because the truck is run hard and put through its paces. its just getting to the 50K mile mark and it would be terrible to put the heads back on and go run it hard a couple times and have that valve fail. so hopefully you guys can help out the cause. thanks in advance.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
If your worrying about that, than I'd go ahead and install new lifters, rockers, and a fuel system while your at it

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
You could install new valves, but I don't think the valves were the problem. Dropping a valve is usually cause by something else. Piston contact, over rev, etc...there are many more things than valves to be worried about on a 6.4, like said above. Cracked block, cracked pistons etc.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
You could install new valves, but I don't think the valves were the problem. Dropping a valve is usually cause by something else. Piston contact, over rev, etc...there are many more things than valves to be worried about on a 6.4, like said above. Cracked block, cracked pistons etc.
Man I have been creeping here in the 6.4 forums thinking about getting a 6.4 and selling my 6.0. But every time I read this kind of stuff it makes me reconsider.

cory151

Reaction score
Man I have been creeping here in the 6.4 forums thinking about getting a 6.4 and selling my 6.0. But every time I read this kind of stuff it makes me reconsider.

Holy chit, a guy with a 6.0 is scared of reliability issues of a 6.4? :doh:

Its the 6.0 that made me get a 6.4. The OP wants to do preventative maintenance, but if your gonna double a trucks HP with minimal mods (300hp+ tunes) you should probably expect the break some stuff.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Ok so I just kinda figured id update this a touch. This truck will be getting studs and victor reins gaskets along with 30% nozzles. Also getting valve springs, billet pushrods, and an upgraded cam shaft since this truck is run hard. Swinky knows why that's needed. And since we're putting more fuel and air in we need to get more out so the upgraded BD performance 6.0 manifolds will be installed with custom bellowed up pipes from mpd. Parts boxes are gonna be rolling in any day now.

dsberman94

Reaction score
No dual pumps yet. MPD is using these gaskets in King Kong and if they're holding in that truck they will hold in this one. Dual pumps are in the plan as well as a big single turbo for over the summer.

sootie

Reaction score
spend the money on the pistons now. its not worth sacrificing your block when the stock ones crack. i haven't heard of valve issues on the 6.4's but as was mentioned above, 200.00 for new lifters is cheap insurance.
check the plastic rocker clips for wear as well.

if you are doing the work yourself, have your torque wrench calibrated before you start as it may save you a block in the end...

i dont think the stock hpfp with hold up to bigger nozzles. the early 08s had a problem with the hpfp harness chaffing and shorting, i think there is an update for that.

check for cavitation on the front cover behind the waterpump when it is apart. it would probably be a good idea to do the oil cooler when your in there.

Last edited:

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Pistons later too. We believe with the low mileage on the truck they will be fine.

Not a good idea. A buddy of mine just did studs, ported heads, turbo's, and all the trimmings and didn't make it 5 miles on the stock tune.....

Latest posts

Members online