priming a melling m208

neverkickn

Reaction score
I would think that pump would prime dry. The oil coating is prolly just recommended to keep the parts from scoring.

What all did yall do when changing the pump?

Cody

Reaction score
I just coated mine in oil when I did mine and it sat a few weeks on the stand waiting for my heads to get done.. I filled my resivor and it took off..

Granted I probably had 10-15 crank cycles trying to figure out my fuel issues but still took of as long as I would expect a fresh motor too..

TyCorr

Reaction score
I wasnt there when the pump.was.changed on his.truck. Im assuming they removed.the old one and reversed the process. They drained the oil, drained the coolant, and pulled it apart. Per his input the truck.has sat for a month since the repair. They informed me that they did.the repair and completed the oil.change and then reassembled everything and used some device to.refill the coolant. Truck hasnt been started as he.doesnt drive the truck.

Im unsure on this one. I almost want to take it apart to see whats going on. CTS is.showing.0 ICP as its.being crankec.which leads me to believe the lpop isnt primed and isnt giving the.hpop oil to kick it over. It just cranks and cranks.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Look in the HPO res...

For? I removed the sensor on the left side of it and checked to see if there was earl in there. Or do you mean to remove the cover and crank it? Dump it down the standpipe?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
No, I meant check to make sure there is or is not oil in it.

I'll just assume you've checked the oil level?

Over fill the crank case 3-4 qts...

Marty

Reaction score
Are you referring to it being installed backwards? I did that on mine at first, and thankfully caught it in time before installing the engine. With it installed incorrectly, it wouldn't allow the crank to turn over by hand. But I suppose the starter would turn it.

Incorrect installation can crack the front case, can't it?

Who caught that :poke:

Stock LPOP are marked/oriented, Mellings aren't.

X2...

In the event that it isn't working still I have removed the 1/8" plug at the back of the oil cooler and then used a port a power to pump oil into the system. Can't say for sure whether that is what made it work or not, but it did after I did that.

David N

Reaction score
Who caught that :poke:

X2...

In the event that it isn't working still I have removed the 1/8" plug at the back of the oil cooler and then used a port a power to pump oil into the system. Can't say for sure whether that is what made it work or not, but it did after I did that.

Hey there Marty! Hadn't seen anything from you in awhile. Luh you too LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
Great idea Marty...if joes suggestion of overfilling doesnt allow it to.feed then ill be pumping oil in through the cooler.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Overfilled the truck with oil by 3 quarts. Its still not building oil pressure but the needle is bouncing, if that means anything. We keep filling the reservoir(hpo) and after cranking it will empty.

One other thing to note the ipr is reading now. It wasnt before. The battery voltage isnt recovering though. My cps showed 10.8v upon keying it on. I placed the.charger on the batteries and I suspect sitting damaged the batteries. And they wont take a full.charge.

This thing is overfilled with oil but wont build pressure yet.

The battery voltage is probably too low to even start the truck as the idm wants 12v to even tell the injectors to fire.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I just got the truck to pop, exhaust smells like......exhaust but nothing promising. Im guessing until voltage is addressed this thing isnt going to run. New batteries and a good charge are my recommendation for now. That pump has to be swamped with oil. It doesnt need to prime when its.deluged with oil.

David N

Reaction score
I just got the truck to pop, exhaust smells like......exhaust but nothing promising. Im guessing until voltage is addressed this thing isnt going to run. New batteries and a good charge are my recommendation for now. That pump has to be swamped with oil. It doesnt need to prime when its.deluged with oil.

If you keep having to "refill" the reservoir, then the pump isn't pumping.

We went through the same thing on my truck. Cranked for 10 minutes (on and off) and no fire. Nothing. Took the pump off and gobbed grease all over it. Re installed it, and within 5 seconds of cranking, the truck fired right up.

TyCorr

Reaction score
***k....Im delaying the inevitable here. I dont wanna pull this thing apart. Its not even mine. I just cant trust the guy to do it himself. It'll be a mess.

Since this is gonna go.down anyway, what kinda grease did you use David? Is regular chassis.grease ok or lithium? I was telling my dad about the problem and he said vaseline. He greased mine when we did it and I gave him grease but he said he used vaseline. "thats the right.grease for the job Ty." :shrug:

Maybe I should use that. ***k! I hate tellin people Ill help.them,lol. Oh well, he obviously.needs.help. You guys helped me, so I suppose I need to.pay that forward.

Thanks everybody!

Latest posts

Members online