Pro Comp Stabilizer FAIL

nickg3130

Reaction score
Well my pro comp kit failed in a way it blew out both shocks in less than 6 months. I just put there new kit on last night and haven't driven the truck yet so we'll see how this one goes. Here's a crappy pic. I painted the shocks black on this one.
aefc0611-a229-84f0.jpg

PFarmer

Reaction score
Well, I'm home from the diesel shop. The new track bar didn't solve the death wobble. We took it back off because if you can believe it, it performed even worse. It's beginning to look more and more like something else is may be broken/worn/sloppy etc. My mechanic tightened the lift and other suspension parts up to were is should be, torqued what needed it, etc. Still no change. Additionally, there's a really loud "clunk" kind of noise when you turn the steering wheel from side to side repeatedly with the key on, in park. He thinks there's also a problem in the steering gear box. Right now my truck is 100% dangerous to drive.

PFarmer

Reaction score
Well my pro comp kit failed in a way it blew out both shocks in less than 6 months. I just put there new kit on last night and haven't driven the truck yet so we'll see how this one goes. Here's a crappy pic. I painted the shocks black on this one.
aefc0611-a229-84f0.jpg

It looks good and I like the black a bunch. White doesn't work for me with what I do for a living, lol.. they look like crap in a month. Since I'm also prone to punching holes in the shocks on corn stalks and what-not; I even thought about getting some motorcycle exhaust shields to go over each shock. They're chrome or anodized black, they come in 8", 12", 14" etc.. lengths, have different diameters (1", 1 1/2", 2") and they mount with built in hose clamps. I told the Skyjacker rep about my idea at a Dallas truck show and he thought it might work. LOL, I'll let you know how THAT goes.

eastern

Reaction score
just got death wobble on my 12 but thought it has to do with the added weight of the utility body taking weight off the front. Ordered airbags for rear but also think something is not right in front.

PFarmer

Reaction score
Well, the problem is solved. Whew. I put new tires on it Saturday. As much as everyone hates them, I went with the same tires I had on it, the BFG AT TA/KO, 315/70/17D. I couldn't keep myself from it :) I love 'em (had 7 sets over the years). Then this morning, I had it in the alignment shop and they tweaked the caster for me; 4 positive on the left, 3.9 on the right and aligned the front end which WAS slightly out. All steering and suspension parts tightened and torqued the way they should be and the problem is now 100% solved. No more wobble, no shimmy, no anything. I know that good tires which are balanced; and an aligned front end are important but man, I was blown away by how BAD it got (and fast) when the tires reached the end of their wear life and the front end only a little out.

Now I know. You win some, you learn some...right? Thanks to every one who listened and my heartfelt apologies to Pro-Comp; I am going to replace the shocks in the stabilizer but there's nothing wrong with the stabilizer. Thanks y'all.

Priscilla

PFarmer

Reaction score
Pro-comp warrantied the shocks on my steering stabilizer. I had the new shocks installed today. I was ready to buy new shocks but they replaced them for me. Pretty cool. :)

Latest posts

Members online