Problems plz help!

Reaction score
I don't know it just said all 8 cylender miss fire its a $250 pos scanner from orally auto?
I unplugd number 5 injector for the heck of it. I thought maybe just maybe it would throw a cel no such luck I'll try another injector tomorrow. :fustrate::fustrate:

TonyG

Reaction score
When this black smoke does happen does the truck feel weak? Sounds to me like hung veins on the turbo... It's very common especially with trucks owned by older people or more commonly I see trucks that idle alot like construction vehicles..... It could also be a egr issue with the valve being hung open.... The lack of power if so obviously isn't fuel because your getting wasted fuel smoke.... Have to get it hooked up to a IDS or auto engenuity to really be sure of what it could be... Not ruling out a injector fault but 9times out of 10 I see this its a VGT issue

Reaction score
Did not check the map hose. Yes very low on power. I cleaned the egr valve 2 times since I owned it but not ruling that out. Now the turbo could it cause the shifting issue? Time for a mtw hybrid?? :evil

TonyG

Reaction score
Well the "shift issue" is more of a power issue.... The truck is use to seeing X amount of power before shifting at certain throttle percentage and since there's a issue its not seeing what it wants in rpm ramping vs mph.... You could kinda look at it the same as the truck feels its pulling a loaded trailer.... I you stay in the throttle does the power come in and smoke clear? Like at WOT

Reaction score
Actually I pulled a stock trailer to the fair and I had power after the smoke and second gear.
So it's the turbo right? I unplugged the vgt one day and drove it to. The fair and it lacked power smoke was very little to none

TonyG

Reaction score
Actually I pulled a stock trailer to the fair and I had power after the smoke and second gear.
So it's the turbo right

If you go full throttle and the power comes in late and smoke clears its pretty good chance it's a VGT issue.... You can take the turbo apart and clean it.... Or get powermax..... We clean them a good bit and/or put on a powermax... Depends on how worn the unison ring is or how much there itching for more power.... Powermax and 190/100s is real nice driveable power ( saw you make a mention about 190/100s)

Reaction score
Powermax or mtw Ill have to think on but I'll take the turbo off the next few days or so and see be for its to late to get a turbo. How hard is it to take off on a scale of 1-10? (yeah they are on there way)

TonyG

Reaction score
Not really hard.... First time will take you sometime..... But the biggest issue most people have is realigning the veins and housings.... First time you do this you better take a day for it.... Make sure you get new turbo drain orings before you tear into it... Maybe look into a DIY vid or thread

weazel

Reaction score
Just pulled mine not too long ago, same reason, and I will do it again tomorrow when my Pmax gets here, I would say a 5/10, it is a little time consuming, if you have a friend with small hands bribe him with beer and pizza, because tiny hands make the job easier, once everything is unhooked push it up off the drain tube with a pry bar. And begin wiggling it to the passenger side watch the hot lead on the alternator, I was warned by one of the fine member on this forum, so I covered it with a glove

Translated from hillbilly, with tapatalk

Reaction score
Ok 5/10 ain't bad. Don't have a friend with small hands. I'll make sure I take the batteries out and cover it when I pull the turbo. Thank you guys. You probably jest saved me 1-7 thousand trying to fix it and just throwing parts at it

TonyG

Reaction score
Yea lol I've seen that alt power get grounded out.... And take map house off the manifold.... In the wiggling and finagling it can get cut

Latest posts

Members online