Project planning

Short Bus

Reaction score
We are looking at upgrading from our 7.3's to something newer and I need suggestions. First off we want to stay with fords but 6 liters are out of the question due to long term reliability and 6.4s due to truck cost. So what we are thinking is buy 3 05-07 fords like what we what trim wise but with blown engines and swap in the all mighty Cummings. What's everyone's thoughts? Does the 5r100 have any stand alone controllers available? Looking at starting this project late this year after fall harvest so I haven't done much research yet just wanted to get some input on this.

davey99ps

Reaction score
If your going with auto your prolly better off with a pcs'd 4r. It would be an awesome truck, but cost wise I would think a 6.4 could be had for similar $.

Jacob 76

Reaction score
Nothing runs quite like the mighty Cummin(g)s LOL I like the idea but I would try and find a dodge tranny to put behind it then you won't have to mess with adapter plates and stuff. I'm assuming it's a commonrail your wanting to pit in it?

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Nothing runs quite like the mighty Cummin(g)s LOL I like the idea but I would try and find a dodge tranny to put behind it then you won't have to mess with adapter plates and stuff. I'm assuming it's a commonrail your wanting to pit in it?

Dodge trans are NOT an option. LOL

4r100 behind the Cummings wins IMO.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
BTW Luke... I can't remember where off the top of my head but, depending on budget, I came across an ECSB 6.4 on CL the other day for around 12-15k. I don't remember the details but I think it was 4x4 and it was white.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Which year cummins, and will it be staying stock? I'm sure it isn't overly difficult finding blown 05' - 07' fords at a decent price. If you could find a reasonably priced common rail cummins and did all the work yourself the truck could be put together under what most 6.4's are going for I would venture to guess. That setup could also yield the reliability of a 7.3 with the features of a newer truck. Personally I would pick between a good old 12v or a common rail cummins, and a zf6 or a 4r100.
Destroked offers PCS support for controlling a 5r110 but I haven't heard they aren't very easy to set up right, which is why I would lean towards a 4r for an auto.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
1) WHAT?

2) 4R100 or 48RE - if you need a Dodge trans built - call me to discuss. Or whatever manual trans that you wish (ZF6 is one tough cookie though!)

3) Go Common Rail if you are going to do it - you will thank yourself many times over - new enough for EFILive would be even better.

Short Bus

Reaction score
it would be a 05-07 common rail more than likely. I was really wanting to keep the 5r100 trans for the extra gear since we tow alot, zf6 is out of the question because we dont want manual transmissions. Dodge transmissions are out of the question because i dont want to drop 4-6k to biuld one up. Hp will be stock on 2 of the trucks and a maybe a small hp bump on mine. I would be doing all the work myself on all 3 trucks, so that should save alot of money on the swaps. Ive thought about the 6.4 08+ trucks, but im not convinced that we could reliably take them to 250k+ miles like our old 7.3's. keep the input coming, im open to any and all suggestions.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Why go thru all the hassle of doing a conversion when your just running stock CR? Why not take the money buy 3 clean low mile 7.3 make some slight mods and drive the piss out of them.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Why go thru all the hassle of doing a conversion when your just running stock CR? Why not take the money buy 3 clean low mile 7.3 make some slight mods and drive the piss out of them.

Because we want to update trucks, nicer cabs, nicer ride, etc... Buying dodge trucks is out of th question, because it would be going backwards from what we have now as far as interior and ride is concerned.

Viking

Reaction score
Dodge trans are NOT an option. LOL

4r100 behind the Cummings wins IMO.

My buddy who likes dodge and runs a 800 rwhp cummins wants to help with my 99 12v swap. He thought I was going to run dodge tranny haha. I told him BTS behind t and we will have no worries.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Are most of the 6.0 to 5.9 transplants using dodge transmissions or what is the go to deal? I really want a 5 speed auto behind it.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Are most of the 6.0 to 5.9 transplants using dodge transmissions or what is the go to deal? I really want a 5 speed auto behind it.

I chose to run the dodge trans over the 5r due to the fact that everyone was having issues getting a PCS dialed in with a 5r and I didn't want to have to have something that wouldn't end up being reliable. I got the 47re built for a good price and the way Im gonna run using the dodge PCM is going to cost a lot less than running a 4r100, PCS and adapter plate. That was my reasoning for going the dodge trans route.

Short Bus

Reaction score
I guess it wouldnt be that big of deal for me to buy wrecked dodges for the engine and transmissions then part the rest out that i dont need. What year did dodge go to a 5 or 6 speed auto in their trucks? Is it possible to swap that new of dodge auto in w/o problems?

MINK

Reaction score
I guess it wouldnt be that big of deal for me to buy wrecked dodges for the engine and transmissions then part the rest out that i dont need. What year did dodge go to a 5 or 6 speed auto in their trucks? Is it possible to swap that new of dodge auto in w/o problems?

07 is the year, the 6 speed autos are junk and expensive. I would go 5r before I would use the dodge 68.

4r100/pcs or 48re/pcs would be your best bet.

weazel

Reaction score
We do a ton of Cummin(G)s swaps at the shop, the easiest way to do it is put the dodge manual behind it. The engine swap is pretty straight forward,'obviously if you go with a more modern engine then the wiring will take a bit longer. we actually just took one of our shop trucks to Vegas, it did great, it is a 1999 chevy with a 12v in it we only used $160 of fuel to go 1000 mile round trip and bomb up and down the strip all night for 3 nights. It ran great, I am a huge powerstroke fan but a Cummin(G)s does great in a truck that is not a dodge

Latest posts

Members online