Project: Rusty Red just needed a new bed.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I've seen it on a few gassers but never on a ford leaf spring superduty. I think the key will be the right shock setup.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Well the body is finally back.
IMAG0256_zpsqtptktoa.jpg

IMAG0257_zpsds8ixrqf.jpg

So hopefully this will get going again very soon.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I haven't figured that out yet. But i think there are a few different spring codes for excursions. Depending on what motor they have. So a 5.4 would likely have a softer spring than a 7.3

cbf9703

Reaction score
Anybody know how much excursion springs drop them?

Some of it depend on the springs. I went the other way ( put a 4" truck lift on my EX and it lifted it about 6"), but doing some measuring on our trucks, the best I could figure was the 4wd EX sat about 1 3/4" lower than the same SD.

Gasser springs are definitely softer. You do get more weight transfer, but you need to watch your setup so you don't hop too bad. I've seen some swapping don't under the front of an OBS with different gasser springs, it made a big difference for their set up.

swinky

Reaction score
Some of it depend on the springs. I went the other way ( put a 4" truck lift on my EX and it lifted it about 6"), but doing some measuring on our trucks, the best I could figure was the 4wd EX sat about 1 3/4" lower than the same SD.

Gasser springs are definitely softer. You do get more weight transfer, but you need to watch your setup so you don't hop too bad. I've seen some swapping don't under the front of an OBS with different gasser springs, it made a big difference for their set up.
Gasser springs up front helps weight transfer? I guess that would make sense.

Reaction score
I don't agree. Unless your not hanging weight. With 1800# on the front of our pull truck the factory springs are a 1/2" away from the bump stops. If it had softer springs it would sit on the stops hard. And that would loose "lift" when the sled pulls down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbf9703

Reaction score
It was for a drag/pulling dual purpose 'fun' truck. He liked it, but we all know how many different opinions on truck setups there are out there. It wasn't my truck, but the combo he finally ran with definitely helped at the drag strip and seemed to work just as well pulling. The front was softer, but not so much that it floated launching.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Well I think at least the new x codes will get swapped back out for some v codes. I'm sure the front end will be a little bit of trial and error. As none of us have done much pulling till now.

617mach 1x

Reaction score
The springs need to be as flat as possible or concave to the pulling surface to eliminate hop, front traction bars make it hop bad

Have it sag as much as you can like Morgan stated and
Jared had it right, tire pressure and shocks

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Well long story short the built long block we bought wasn't in such great shape. So we are building a new motor with a different block and heads. The only thing that we are undecided on is how we want to seal the heads. We are thinking of cutting out a set of stock gaskets and running a fire ring with a receiver grove in the block and the heads. Since this is not a street driven truck I can't think of any down sides. This doesn't seem super common in the 6.0 world but was wondering if anyone had a opinion on this?