Project "Second Strike" RCSB 6.4 - RELOADED

BilletGarage

Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while, but I'm starting to collect engine parts in preparation to lift the cab. Here is the parts list. I don't have alot of these items yet so input is welcome.

59/75 Compounds
Tial WG
FASS Titanium 150 LP
Fuel Bowl Delete
Ported Fuel Rails
HD UpPipes
ARP Studs
EGR Delete
Stage 1 Valve Springs
Stage 1 Pushrods
New OEM Lifters
New OEM Rockers
Hot/Cold Side Pipes
No Limit CAI
No Limit CCV ReRoute

A built tranny is on the list for the future as I'm sure my stocker won't last too long. Anything I'm forgetting or should think about? My current K16 seems to be healthy. I am seeing 26,000+ psi rail pressure on Eric's Street Tune now. I have given some thought to going with 15-30% over injector nozzles but I hear a stock K16 will not be able to feed even 15's properly? Don't really want to go dual fuelers and there doesn't seem to be a reliable stroked K16 on the market. So, I may just live with stock fuel. With the truck being light and 2wd, I don't think I will have the means to get the extra power to the ground anyway.

Also, finally replaced the tow mirrors with some paddles temporarily. Also, will be changing out the '08 tail lights for the flush '99-07 style. I was going to do the tails this weekend and found I need to change the reverse light sockets. So I have those on order.

3051863936779333443f9d5d0162689b.jpg

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
no need for the ported fuel rails. and no, even a healthy k16 will only keep up with 15s for a short time. midwest's duel fueler kit is affordable. that and some 60s will maximize the 75/59 combo-should be 800+

BilletGarage

Reaction score
no need for the ported fuel rails. and no, even a healthy k16 will only keep up with 15s for a short time. midwest's duel fueler kit is affordable. that and some 60s will maximize the 75/59 combo-should be 800+

No need for ported rails with stock HPFP or no need for ported rails ever? I want to keep things relatively smoke free so I'm not sure about dual fuelers and 60's. Not ruling them out, but not sure it wouldn't be smokey with a 75/59 combo even with PW dialed back. I figured a little more air and a little less fuel than a typical build might keep me clean? Not looking to chase HP numbers. I just want a very clean burning truck that spools quick and rips. :) Thanks for the input!

BK39

Reaction score
I was going to do the tails this weekend and found I need to change the reverse light sockets.
3051863936779333443f9d5d0162689b.jpg

Heads up. The 08+ tailgates stick out a hair, so if you go back to the 99-07 tail lights, you may need shim them a little to make it look right. I ran across this issue when i put an 08 tailgate on my 02 truck.

BilletGarage

Reaction score
Heads up. The 08+ tailgates stick out a hair, so if you go back to the 99-07 tail lights, you may need shim them a little to make it look right. I ran across this issue when i put an 08 tailgate on my 02 truck.

Interesting. I wonder if it has to do with the '08 tailgate on an earlier bed? My bed and tailgate are from an '08 truck. I will take a look. I haven't noticed that. Thanks!

Wayne

Reaction score
You can run a super strong setup by just doing larger turbos. It's pretty much a waste of money for 99% of people doing larger injectors with a stock single injection pump as it really can't keep up with anything but stock on a really aggressive tune. That thing will run awesome with just larger turbos anyway. Ported intake manifold is money much more wisely spent. You can do your own ported rails if you want. Done properly, there are no negative side affects. All you do is drill out the inlet to match the size of the outlets. It's 1/8" I believe. Just don't break off the drill bit as it's pretty hard metal. Some guys have had surging issues when doing ported rails, but good tuning completely fixes that. Also, if you go to a bigger, or dual injection pumps, the extra pump does rob power, so you'll want to at least do 30% over nozzles to gain any noticeable power. Even if you don't though, just adding the extra pump will make your off idle power a lot more snappy having exactly the pressure it wants exactly when it wants it.

BilletGarage

Reaction score
You can run a super strong setup by just doing larger turbos. It's pretty much a waste of money for 99% of people doing larger injectors with a stock single injection pump as it really can't keep up with anything but stock on a really aggressive tune. That thing will run awesome with just larger turbos anyway. Ported intake manifold is money much more wisely spent. You can do your own ported rails if you want. Done properly, there are no negative side affects. All you do is drill out the inlet to match the size of the outlets. It's 1/8" I believe. Just don't break off the drill bit as it's pretty hard metal. Some guys have had surging issues when doing ported rails, but good tuning completely fixes that. Also, if you go to a bigger, or dual injection pumps, the extra pump does rob power, so you'll want to at least do 30% over nozzles to gain any noticeable power. Even if you don't though, just adding the extra pump will make your off idle power a lot more snappy having exactly the pressure it wants exactly when it wants it.

Great info! Thank you Wayne! Are the ported rails even beneficial on a stock K16? Will look into the ported intake. I hadn't thought of any significant benefit there before....

Wayne

Reaction score
no real benefit to ported rails on stock injectors. nobody I know of has done a back to back test to validate when it matters. I know RCD makes a couple ported intakes. I'm sure a couple others out there do as well. Oh, and if you do your own rail porting, it's absolutely vital that the rail ends are removed, and the rail flushed thoroughly for contamination.

Reaction score
Our single 64mm turbo is capable of 600-650 reliable horsepower while still spooling nicely. If that's all the power you are looking for, it's an inexpensive route to go especially since it doesn't require any fueling mods. In all of the testing we have done, the turbo is completely happy with stock fuel and a variety of tunes.

The truck looks great! I can't wait to see how it does when you get it finished.

Wayne

Reaction score
I haven't seen the kit, but it might be a good platform to add compounds to. stock turbos are good to almost 600, and a drop in 71 can hit high 600's on a good day though. single non vgt does have that sweet aggressive sound. Can't forget that.

BilletGarage

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys! I have contemplated a single charger setup. My only concern is smoke down low and lag. I like the quick throttle response I have now. How would a single 64 do with a small shot of spray? I have heard the stock HPFP is capable of about 700hp on a good day. Is that about right? Also, when is a wastegate "needed"?

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
No need for ported rails with stock HPFP or no need for ported rails ever? I want to keep things relatively smoke free so I'm not sure about dual fuelers and 60's. Not ruling them out, but not sure it wouldn't be smokey with a 75/59 combo even with PW dialed back. I figured a little more air and a little less fuel than a typical build might keep me clean? Not looking to chase HP numbers. I just want a very clean burning truck that spools quick and rips. :) Thanks for the input!
i personally wouldn't port the fuel rails. smoke is all in the tuning-not necessarily injector size.

Listen to this man ^^^^^ you would be mega happy with a 75/59 drop in setup however, the chargers can be pushed harder with more fuel. You wont do much over 700hp on stock fuel.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys! I have contemplated a single charger setup. My only concern is smoke down low and lag. I like the quick throttle response I have now. How would a single 64 do with a small shot of spray? I have heard the stock HPFP is capable of about 700hp on a good day. Is that about right? Also, when is a wastegate "needed"?

Smoke can easily be controlled with tuning. I don't hear of many people having problems with spool up with our single kit. I wouldn't have an issue spraying our turbo at all as long as you utilized our wastegate kit also. I plan on going a similar route on my 6.7.

B585Ford

Reaction score

I'm going to have to disagree on this one… There is a place for 15% nozzles on the stock HPFP. It really just depends on your goals. I agree 100% that you won't maintain 26k RP on the race tune with 15s. Without some custom tuning, you probably even lose a little on the top end. That being said, they definitely helps spool up. I can honestly say 15% nozzles have been one of my favorite mods I have done. I have ran the stock VGT with a 76 up until now. On Friday, I get my truck back and it will now have a 59/76. Let me know if you want to hear how it goes. Keep in mind, for me spool up is everything .

BilletGarage

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Letting all of this soak in. Would there be a significant difference between a 75/59 combo and a 72/59 combo?

And yes, keep me posted on your results with the HP turbo upgrade and 15's B585Ford. Thanks.

I know the Dragonfire Pumps have been unreliable but I wish someone made a 30-50% over modded pump for us guys who just want to run 15-30 over injectors and maintain rail pressure. Maybe modding the pump to flow 85% over stock is too aggressive and that's why they are failing?

sootie

Reaction score
you wont see a major difference at all without more fuel. it will be a tad stronger on the big end but thats it.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Letting all of this soak in. Would there be a significant difference between a 75/59 combo and a 72/59 combo?

And yes, keep me posted on your results with the HP turbo upgrade and 15's B585Ford. Thanks.

I know the Dragonfire Pumps have been unreliable but I wish someone made a 30-50% over modded pump for us guys who just want to run 15-30 over injectors and maintain rail pressure. Maybe modding the pump to flow 85% over stock is too aggressive and that's why they are failing?

It would be nice, but I doubt it will happen soon ...you can only get reman HPFPs now and they are a POS (I have plenty of experience with this issue) so modding one bigger will make it even more of a time bomb. I believe Jared said RCD is working on getting a new company to do remans in hopes that a reliable one will be available. I am not sure with Ford contracts, etc. how that works but I would love to see that happen. Hopefully he will provide an update.

devdiesel

Reaction score
I'm running a somewhat similar setup to yours just more race oriented (rcsb 2wd) and I'll say smoke control is all in the tuning. Duel fuelers, 60%'s and a 59/72 is almost smoke free on my street tune (1.8 pulse width) from gearhead. Fuel is pulled way back at this point but it's very responsive, clean and cool... And pulls very strong up top, defiantly need a gate though. Gets up to the 47-50 psi range quick

BilletGarage

Reaction score
I'm running a somewhat similar setup to yours just more race oriented (rcsb 2wd) and I'll say smoke control is all in the tuning. Duel fuelers, 60%'s and a 59/72 is almost smoke free on my street tune (1.8 pulse width) from gearhead. Fuel is pulled way back at this point but it's very responsive, clean and cool... And pulls very strong up top, defiantly need a gate though. Gets up to the 47-50 psi range quick

This is good info. Thank you! Been following your build and getting inspiration. It looks killer!

I have been rolling combos around in my head for weeks and resisting big fuel mods. I really want this truck to stay clean burning above all else. As smoke free as possible. However, I don't want to needlessly leave power potential on the table, even if I choose not to use it every day. If I can dial back larger injectors with tuning for the street, but have enough fuel to let it eat at the track (with some spray), that would be ideal. And the more I read, and you guys chime in, the more this seems doable.

So, what do you guys think of this combo for that goal:

75/59 Compounds
Wastegate
Dual Fuelers
60% Nozzles
Tank Sump
FASS 220 LPFP
Fuel Bowl Delete
Ported Intake
Ported Fuel Rails (if it will matter)
6.0 or BD Manifolds/UpPipes
Valve Springs
Pushrods
ARP Studs
Stock Bottom End
Stock Heads
Built Trans

The truck will be light and 2wd so I don't see it being as hard on transmissions as heavier 4wd trucks at a similar power level. Stickier tires will obviously tax it a bit more.

Was also thinking of re-gearing the truck from 3.73's down to 3.31's from the older 10.25 rear ends. Anyone done this? Any down side in the strength department?

Thoughts overall?