proper way to break in motor

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
that's what ive heard. some people say load it up others say baby it. the babying part doesnt make sense to me. maybe the first couple miles or so

TyCorr

Reaction score
that's what ive heard. some people say load it up others say baby it. the babying part doesnt make sense to me. maybe the first couple miles or so

***k no, it makes zero sense. I wouldnt be beating the piss out of it but running it hard, you bet.

At least drive it as hard as you would using it but that seems ill conceived unless you consider a trailer normal use, hence my suggestion.

Reaction score
When we dynoed new engines at cat, we gave them 15 minutes at half throttle and 20% load. Then once up to temp and no issues they went to wot full 100% rated hp for an hour straight. If they took that then they would be fine in the real world. Never had one fail in 8 years by me or anyone else.

Babying it will only make the rings take longer to seat. Put a load on it and use it like it was meant to be used.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Don't baby it but, don't overheat it. I plan hooking up a trailor to mine, load a tractor on it, go up the mountain, vary the RPMS, go down the mountain and let the engine hold it back. I should do it a couple times.

TERRCO

Reaction score
Peak hp operating range for 20 minutes after it reaches normal operating temp. That's what I've always been told. 7.3s would be 2500 rpms I believe.

Sent from my Nuclear iPhone

Canadian6.4

Reaction score
Like Morgan said. Load it. For warm up. Then wot! The vacuum side of decel helps to seat the rings too. Going up in rpm (high) then slow down with engine only. Let the rpm slow the truck. Look at all the best engine builders out there on YouTube. They warm up the engine then boost the sh$t out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnxtc2

Reaction score
There is nothing to break in on a motor except for the rings. Putting the motor under boost seats the rings.

Babying the motor will wear away the cross hatch in the cylinder bores and glaze the rings.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Short Bus

Reaction score
I warm them up and make sure there is no leaks. Then, take it on an easy 10-15 mile drive and check it over one more time. If all is good then, it gets hooked to a trailer.

Arisley

Reaction score
I warm them up and make sure there is no leaks. Then, take it on an easy 10-15 mile drive and check it over one more time. If all is good then, it gets hooked to a trailer.

There you go, right there. Not just on diesels either.

I once rebuilt a KZ650. Fired it up, ran it at 3000 RPM's until the smoke cleared (rings seated). Let it idle, adjusted the idle to what sounded good. Idled it out to the street and railed on it hard for about 20 miles. Never had any issues. Owned that bike long enough to do to more top end rebuilds and one more bottom end.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
HRT should post a sticky on how to break in a motor with a vid of the ole red truck .. its awesome!

Plenty in this thread have hit the nail on the head. Fire it up, warm it up, make sure there are no leaks or issues and go wind her up real tight with a big load. I used a pulling sled. I also ended up with headers and up-pipes that were glowing so hot that I thought the truck was on fire from the glow through the shifter hole in the floor (no boot). She was happy after that.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Plenty in this thread have hit the nail on the head. Fire it up, warm it up, make sure there are no leaks or issues and go wind her up real tight with a big load. I used a pulling sled. I also ended up with headers and up-pipes that were glowing so hot that I thought the truck was on fire from the glow through the shifter hole in the floor (no boot). She was happy after that.
oh I know but the vid of the break in run on the sled is awesome..

Latest posts

Members online