Pro's and con's between the Black Max, spartan, and SCT touch?

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Researched this question here and on CompD. Didn't come up with much. Seen one guy comment on not being able to use his Spartan on more then just one truck. I just want to hear yalls likes and dislikes on these tuners. Not so much which one is best. Also does any one know when the black Max is suppose to release again? If I burn one more tank at 11mpg I think I'm going to cry. Lol I have to get a tuner and these are the three I have narrowed it down to. Exhaust and intake are coming soon.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
This has be done a million times. Its a dead horse. Its all about what YOU want. Its a post whore thread for 5000 opinions.

If you researched you would not have the touch

Done.

Last edited:

patrickke

Reaction score
My personal pic would not be a touch model and it would be getting something like the Mini-Maxx

PM for pricing

Patrick@KEM

Boomer

Reaction score
I think this can actually be a good topic. Like the OP said, this isn't a thread asking which tuner is best. It's asking owners what they like or don't like about the different tuning platforms. I think it would be nice to have people's thoughts in one place. I hear people rave about the DashDaq, but what do they prefer over the other choices? I don't know enough about 6.4 tuners to know what I would prefer. And $700+ is a lot of money to conduct a trial and error approach. I hope, someday, to own a fancy 6.4 and would like to hear varying opinions.

Sent from a smart phone by a dumb guy.

Reaction score
mini maxx in imo but this is a dead horse like stated above there is a thread with tons of opinions, and its also what your exactly wanting for your truck.

fine69

Reaction score
I have a MiniMaxx on my truck, no experience with the others. I bought mine after reading ALOT on the forums and after talking to the guys at Rudy's, I decided to buy the Mini. I don't regret it one bit. Oh yeah, I also bought the Special Edition KEM SD card with all their tunes and I love the way my truck runs!

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
Thus far the only thing I don't like about sct is not being able to turn off the tpms sensor. And how bulky it is, but hoping to get a dashdaq sometime soon to monitor anyway. I'm currently running innovative tunes and they are awesome.

HOLDERDOWN

Reaction score
We use SCT to tune with alongside a DashDAQ to monitor...pricey but it's great. You have more tuning options with some of the fastest tuners and the best gauges for a 6.4.

Sent from Holderdown Performance iPhone Command Center

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
OK thanks for the responses guys. If I put in SCT its going to pull up threads for days. Yes I am aware that this thread is a pissing match. The few other threads I have seen is a bunch of guys saying that one is better the the other, or that they hate how long it it takes to tune. I was hoping guys could tell me what they liked or didn't. Example, I hate my mini Max because the screen is so small.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/search.php?do=process

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/search.php?do=process

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Yeah those links didn't work like I had hoped. That's what I got when I searched sct touch screen extreme in every different variation.

fine69

Reaction score
Initially I was going to buy the Black Maxx because it has a bigger screen. After talking to people, they all told me the Mini is smaller, but has a much better, more clear screen. Honestly, after the "new" wore off, I rarely look at the screen anyway.

BFT

Reaction score
I got the livewire and DD. You can't go wrong with the DD and you have different skins that you can apply for the background for easy visibility in the day, and tone it down at night so it's easy on the eyes.
I honestly only use the DD when towing but either then that it's in my glove box... Unless I use it for new set ups (turbos, intakes, etc...)

Emery19

Reaction score
is there a place where i can find list of features for each one? like I'm not sure ow to explain it. but can all change for different size tires, etc. Unless i just missed this in reading about them on vendor sites

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I Know the H&S and SCT will correct it, but the live wire needed you to to add the revolutions per mile. Idk if its different on the touch screen.

Emery19

Reaction score
hmm thanks guys. what about spartan. thats where i was really leaning. and its not a deal breaker if it doesnt. but for some reason i'm really anal about having my speedo and odometoer correct. i know its kinda dumb. haha

mclean

Reaction score
I have the DD, the minimaxx and the sct. Haven't hooked up the livewire yet or ran the Minimaxx tunes but as far as monitors, the DD wins hands down. The mini is nice and small and has a sharp, easy to read screen, but I just wish there was a way to monitor more than 4 things when I tow.

As far as the tuning part goes, as stated, lots of threads on it.

BFT

Reaction score
The screen size is the same, the unit itself is not. Mind you this is the livewire and not the touch.
I don't know if it's a visual thing you're looking for or functuality, all give good tunes for functioning but the DD stands above them all IMHO. The SCT has does have perks, (trans tuning, tire selection, fuel upgrade... Etc) make it to be a real nice tuner. Spartan makes real good tunes, I've been running them since 08 and have never failed me.

Latest posts

Members online