Pulling the trigger on a 72mm

08stroker350

Reaction score
What brand should I get? Will I need anything else then what I have in my sig? Head studs maybe. I only run the truck at 80HP tow or sometimes the 160HP street tune... barely ever use the 250HP. Also wondering what numbers I should see to the rear tires.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
If your looking for another bit of hp why not just buy a custom tuning package for your truck instead of a upgraded atmo? Unless you plan on running a higher tune, just don't see the point in spending the $$ on a upgraded turbo if you only run the truck on a 80hp tune

CT9AIX

Reaction score
If your looking for another bit of hp why not just buy a custom tuning package for your truck instead of a upgraded atmo? Unless you plan on running a higher tune, just don't see the point in spending the $$ on a upgraded turbo if you only run the truck on a 80hp tune

cooler egt's. Not everyone that upgrades their turbos are after big Horsepower

twitch02x

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time deciding if I wanna do a single 366
Or a Jr high power setup. Getting mixed findings on wether or not the single 366 will actually make more power and feel faster than the stockers. Plan to stay stock fuel. At what point is it time to upgrade hp turbo. I see a lot of people just doin the atmospheric turbo and having good luck, but there has to be a point when it's time to do the other also.

sootie

Reaction score
Or a Jr high power setup. Getting mixed findings on wether or not the single 366 will actually make more power and feel faster than the stockers. Plan to stay stock fuel. At what point is it time to upgrade hp turbo. I see a lot of people just doin the atmospheric turbo and having good luck, but there has to be a point when it's time to do the other also.

upgrade the HP with any atmo over 73mm.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I don't want to jump on the wagon of not answering the question asked, but if your after cooler EGT's and not the power I'd look at other upgrades first. Airflow, Airflow Airflow.... Ported intake mani and intercooler possibly?

What's the goal of the truck and/or reasoning for a 72?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

ill be more than glad to help you out if you fix that avatar. LOL

johnp115

Reaction score
I don't want to jump on the wagon of not answering the question asked, but if your after cooler EGT's and not the power I'd look at other upgrades first. Airflow, Airflow Airflow.... Ported intake mani and intercooler possibly?

:whs:

cold side intercooler tube, ported intake mani, 6.0 manis and up pipes, 71-73atmo, intercooler. Id recommend the atmo before the intercooler just because the atmo is going to net a gain far more noticeable than the intercooler. and pertaining to your original question you're probably going to want up pipes and manifolds anyways with an upgraded atmo

RSK

Reaction score

the 72 will probably offer a bigger egt drop then both a ported intake manifold, and aftermarket intercooler. i'm just guessing here.

B585Ford

Reaction score
At some point the factory hp is goin to become a restriction.

I realize that....I should have been more specific....does anyone have data that demonstrates 73 is the cut off for stock HP turbo other than using an ~ 20% rule.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
the 72 will probably offer a bigger egt drop then both a ported intake manifold, and aftermarket intercooler. i'm just guessing here.

hmm...Is this just a full shot in the dark guess or do you have any data to lead you to this guess?

I'd do intake and exhuast mani's and intercooler before an upgraded turbo considerig the OP only usually runs a 80 or 160 tune.

Also, upgrade your down pipe if you haven't done it yet.

OP - I think the 73 will also probably pull the filter in on an S&B intake.

johnp115

Reaction score
hmm...Is this just a full shot in the dark guess or do you have any data to lead you to this guess?

I'd do intake and exhuast mani's and intercooler before an upgraded turbo considerig the OP only usually runs a 80 or 160 tune.

Also, upgrade your down pipe if you haven't done it yet.

OP - I think the 73 will also probably pull the filter in on an S&B intake.

people notice a 200ish degree EGT drop with an upgraded atmo on stock intercooler, and net around 60 more hp. Ive heard anywhere from 150-250 EGT drop with an intercooler but no 60hp gain lol. And i see that a few people on here are running much larger turbos with the stock intercooler too. I do think there are cheaper options for the OP to resort too first, but its not my money nor my truck, and the 72 will provide exactly what he is wanting, while adding to the performance of the truck.

Agreed on the intake part.... OP you're gonna need a no limit or the largest AFE

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
people notice a 200ish degree EGT drop with an upgraded atmo on stock intercooler, and net around 60 more hp. Ive heard anywhere from 150-250 EGT drop with an intercooler but no 60hp gain lol. And i see that a few people on here are running much larger turbos with the stock intercooler too. I do think there are cheaper options for the OP to resort too first, but its not my money nor my truck, and the 72 will provide exactly what he is wanting, while adding to the performance of the truck.

Agreed on the intake part.... OP you're gonna need a no limit or the largest AFE

largest AFE will not do it.

johnp115

Reaction score
I didn't know how to describe it , my truck came with I guess the elite upgraded one?? Idk, it's a decently sized elbow. Almost the same size as the no limit elbow. It doesn't have that down size that all the other intakes have.

But I have no clue what upgraded intake it is so could only describe it as "largest afe" lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online