purging cylinders after injector oring swap

Arisley

Reaction score
When I did mine, it fired off on the second thirty second crank. I could have primed the oil passages and got it done quicker, I was just too lazy to take the time to do that. Let the truck prime them. When it started, it sounded like crap for the first few minutes of idle. Killed every mosquito on the block though, so that was a good thing. Four or five high throttle take-offs and she was purring right along.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Just went back and looked at my video of my startup after injectors and it popped off after 13 seconds.. figured that was normal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mine started before thirty seconds on both injector changes and the hpop change. I'm pretty sure it was 10-15 all 3 times. After reading how long it took others I was quite impressed.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ah, Roger. I thought with the key off the hpop didn't pump....
But the other possibility is mechanical fuel pump will still pump.

seriously? its gear driven off the cam... motor turns, hpop pumps oil...

live life full throttle

79jasper

Reaction score
Yeah, but I thought the IPR controlled actual flow. Hence why a bad IPR can cause a no start.

Arisley

Reaction score
IPR does control flow. It opens and closes, when it is open, most of the oil goes back to the pan, when it is closed, most of the oil goes to the head. Neither direction is 100%. When there is no voltage, which way is it.

ALWAYS default to K.I.S.S. with mechanics. This stuff is not rocket science, even though we have more computer on our truck than the Apollo missions to the moon. We understand them better now. We have laptops and AE to tell us what is happening. We have our basic understanding of machines (which is what all trucks are made up of, simple machines controlled by computer input, controlled by operator input.

79jasper

Reaction score
Oh okay. Do it bypasses oil. Not really a "on/off." Well that makes sense.
Isn't really anywhere I saw to just find info like that.

Reaction score
Yes, it is just on off time. It's a bleeding act maintaing pressures. On off time is the duty cycle. It has a positive with the on off action is switched on the negative side via the PCM.
Key off and the drain path is open.
Key on with a duty command on, path is closed. Engine spins, hydraulic pressure builds.
The ICP reports hitting 500 plus on crank and that parameter for the PCM to allow a start has been met.
You have load and are giving the pedal strong input the PCM will command a high pressure rating like 3k. Once conditions change and that pressure is not desired , it's a bleed down process to get to say 1500 or 475 for a warm idle and back and forth.
The ipr is a hydraulic dump valve that is incorporated into the loop, mounted in pump, to control pressure byway of dumping or bleed of, if you will.
Ok, good talk.;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.