Put DEF in diesel tank

Seabass

Reaction score
Customer messed up and put 5 gallons of DEF in the fuel tank (idiot)…now what? drop the tank and drain it?

MCarter788

Reaction score
Yea it is basically like pouring water in your tank! Did his warranty cover that? If not that can be an expensive mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rodslinger

Reaction score
Yea it is basically like pouring water in your tank! Did his warranty cover that? If not that can be an expensive mistake.

Not even close to water! It's like adding a Catalyst to it. Crystallizes the fuel in everything it touches. Lines, filters. Pumps, injectors. EVERYTHING.
Just had a customer truck get towed in because of it. 28k claim to farmers insurance.

MCarter788

Reaction score
Not even close to water! It's like adding a Catalyst to it. Crystallizes the fuel in everything it touches. Lines, filters. Pumps, injectors. EVERYTHING.
Just had a customer truck get towed in because of it. 28k claim to farmers insurance.

Whoa! Man that is an embarrassing mistake. Yea I didn't know that it had that effect on the diesel.

carcare

Reaction score
We had a driver put about 1 gallon def into fuel. Truck stayed running but not well. I discovered the issue by finding the crystals built up in the water drain. I immediately changed filter set . Then filled from 1/4 tank to full. Ran a little then changed filters again. Also drained bowl 4-5 times. I then cleaned filter housing and installed third set w plent of diesel kleen and the truck hasn't skipped a beat yet. That was 15k miles ago. These are tow trucks and are used heavily. With something like this time is imperative and a little luck never hurts

L1 master, I-car certified collision, paint

Latest posts

Members online