Questions about radiator replacement.

SPless

Reaction score
As I'm getting ready for round two of repairs, I have a few quick questions. First, I've replaced several radiators but never one that fills through the degas bottle and has no cap. How does that work? Just pour it in the overflow tank and it runs into the radiator? Second, I've seen some of you run a 203* tstat. With no problems with the heat would that show me any form of gains? Also, how much coolant does the system take without a flush, roughly; and what is the preferred method for flushing? Thanks for your help, as im just trying to make sure i have all my ducks in a row before I start.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

purpleheart350

Reaction score
When I did mine (fan came off and blew a whole in it) I replaced the water pump too. I took the hose that came from the tstat housing and spun it around so it was facing up and I filled it that way. You can hear it coming up to the tstat. Put hose back on and fill resivor. start truck let it run and keep filling tank until it doesn't empty anymore.

old man dave

Reaction score
When I replaced the coolant, I installed a Prestone flush kit fitting into the heater hose. Drained the radiator, filled the radiator through the flushing connection with water, ran engine until coolant ran clear. Shut off water and drained radiator. This leaves a little over 50% of the water still in the engine/radiator. Added 4 pints of DCA-4 (or Ford FW-16) to degas bottle and added straight anti-freeze until system wouldn't take anymore. Ran engine and continued to fill coolant through the flushing fitting until system was full and heater on. This got rid of entrapped air and gave a full system fill. 32 quart system resulted in using 3-1/2 gallons of coolant and the 4 pints of additive was just about the right concentration of DCA-4.

I did it this way since my coolant jacket plugs won't come out.

Latest posts

Members online