Questions on buying used 7.3 HIGH MILES

superpsd

Reaction score
I would not be completely scared of a 380K truck but I would check it out top to bottom and figure out what it's going to need. If a truck was taken care of 380K is no big deal to me if it can be picked up for a good deal. However 14.5 K is a shot deal for what that rig is. I would say 5-6 K tops.

Last edited:

bigl110

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't know how to drive a manual lmao but thanks anyways. I'm going to save a bit more then head back here to see what is in the classifieds if nothing local shows up

Overdrive

Reaction score
Hello my name is Laurence. New to the forum and I am looking to buy my first diesel. I have decided on a 7.3 but the only crew cabs in my area are 250000 plus miles. I'm ok with that because I have a commuter I can use if the truck needs some type of overhaul. I found this very nice lifted one but it has 380000 miles. Kinda scary to me but it has everything I would want to do to it already. I looked up the price of a riffraff rebuild kit and it's fairly priced. What is a real offer for this truck in your mind? Thanks for the help!

2000 f350 7.3 dually lariat $14500
http://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/5353769880.html

The mileage doesn't scare me as much as the crap bolted on the truck does. First thing that would come off is the grille, exhaust stack and most likely the lift and tires simply because I rather have the mpg and not have to replace steering parts, brakes and hubs and bearings not to mention 6 giant mud tires at $300 a pop. For my needs that truck would be utterly useless.
If you like they kind of stuff ok it's a plus in the sense of its there and you don't have to buy it and install it. I wouldn't pay anything over 8k for it. The modifications IMO add no value to the vehicle.
For that price there are lower mileage ones out there

Jessy7.3

Reaction score
IMO 14500 is to much for 380000. I had a 94 5.0 f150 up until last summer before i bought my 7.3. I wanted diesel very badly as well as I wanted something that was OBDII but not too new that parts would be so expensive. Im in Utah and in my area not only couldnt I find a normal mile 7.3 for sale but I couldnt find one for sale at all in the two county areas I live in. I had to shop around the American Fork area and I bought mine with 220000 miles on it for 11000$ but it needed tires (1400$), ICP sensor(50$), wind shield(200) and power steering pump(250). All together I ended up paying 1400$ for a 7.3. I bought mine with 2" lift and 35" tires. So to me, I think 14500 is a bit much for a truck with 380000. However I know what its like to want a diesel pretty bad and how hard it is to find them in decent shape. I saw lots in northern areas wanting like 16000 or even 20000 for truck with like 200000 miles on them so its hard to say. They had lots of 6.0s for sale and they were going for way cheeper (like 10000 around where I was looking). I wouldnt buy a 6.0 if it was earlier than 05. From what I understand they fixed a lot of stuff after 05 (like the HPOP). You may be able to find a cheeper 6.0 thats newer than 05.

cbf9703

Reaction score
I would not be completely scared of a 380K truck but I would check it out top to bottom and figure out what it's going to need. If a truck was taken care of 380K is no big deal to me if it can be picked up for a good deal. However 14.5 K is a shot deal for what that rig is. I would say 5-6 K tops.
Yep.

I also agree about the bolt-ons and lift. While my trucks are lifted, it does wear your parts more and people ask a premium for the truck because of it. Regardless, the key is finding a well maintained truck that fits your wants and needs and hasn't been abused.

I paid about $8k for a bone stock, clean, rust free 7.3 with north of 200k 5 years ago. There's no way I'd be paying more than that for one these days as much as I love them. For that kind of money I'd be looking at a much newer vehicle.

4fd9ca7a87ee287a24b98fc49fa6ef33.jpg

Daily driven and I don't think twice about road trips. It's not the mileage that should scare you, it's who put the miles on it. LOL

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

pontiac6269

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I bought a 2001 F350 XLT SC cab and chassis DRW with 323,000 miles. Runs great, no smoke, no blow by, transmission shifts great. New injectors 80,000 miles ago, new ball joints, tie rods, shocks, brakes and tires 20,000 miles ago. The owners had a one inch thick folder with all the maintenance records. I got the truck for $3000.00.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
2 years ago I bought a 2002 7.3 with 302k on the ticker. Lived in flordia for 9 years and had 0 rust on it. New tires, new brakes, new stock suspension. It had codes for an injector (high to low open) and the transmission. Place wanted $10k. I told them if anyone but me bought it they'd be back in short order with a blown trans. Sold it to me for $6.5k tax, title, out the door.

I rebuilt the transmission 3 weeks later after it blew out 3 blocks from work. Also did some mods at the time, including significant mods to the trans and I'm still under the original 10k they wanted.

Point is they can be had if you look, and if you know what you're doing.

bruce

Reaction score
I knew a guy that hot shotted with a 7.3. He hangs around the forums sometimes. I once took him a hpop while he was broke down in my neck of the woods and his truck had like 720K on it at the time

jamesc7.3

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking around 6000 max. Am I a fool for wanting to buy something with so many miles tho? My budget is very limited and I would rather buy something and have the work done myself since most sellers around here have no service records for their trucks. There are plenty 6.0s around here but all are 2004s and I've been told to stay away. I'd rather have the 7.3 since it's a bit cheaper to maintain and I could learn some things along the way.
Where are you located and what are you looking for specifically?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online