Questions - Turbo/pedistal/orings

rascal

Reaction score
On a 38R is the large hole the return or the oil feed port? Just took off my 38R & non-EBPV pedistal and the large hole looks pretty dry. It has been running well for a week besides showing a small leak.

Is one type/color of oring better than another? THe originals were yellow. I have seen brown and black replacements. Are they all created equal?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rascal

Reaction score
After further inspecting the 38R last night the smaller hole extends about an inch and the turns into a pin hole. I am thinking that is the feed port and the larger hole is the return/drian.

rascal

Reaction score
Ok have another question (not that anyone has been answering); if you put oil in a 38R should it leak out into the exhaust and intake sides of the turbo?

I oiled the bearings like instructed before I ever installed the turbo but I had it sitting in my office last night after taking it back to inspect and decided to put some oil in it. Well today I found the oil had leaked into both the intake and exhaust sides of the turbo.

Is the 38R not a "sealed" ball bearing turbo? I understand that it does not usually have oil sitting in it but I figured it couldn't hurt while it was out of the truck.

Thoughts?

Thanks

TyCorr

Reaction score
That doesnt seem right. And probably why the drain hole is dry. All the oil.is blowing out either side.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Does exhaust look like it has an oil coating or more than just soot? Sounds like you are definitely blowing oil out the seal cause it shouldn't leak out from the bearing cartridge.

rascal

Reaction score
It was oil and soot. It was also in the turbo inlet/outlet as well. Yeah I did not think it was supposed to do that but thought I would ask anyway.

Latest posts

Members online