Radiator pressure tester and injector cups?

birdco85

Reaction score
Anyone out there in OBS land know which tester works on an early 95? I have the copper/brass?? Radiator with a standard cap on it. Not the Degas bottle style. I bought the harbor freight tester and none of the adapters work. I Had to Jimmy rig one of them and it works but for 80 bucks i would rather spend it on one that is designed for mine.

And another question, i put new cups in because i thought mine were leaking, it was oil in the coolant, not fuel, and when I replaced the injectors i made a rookie mistake and forgot to torque the hold down bolts. All was fine for about 200-300 miles. Then the other day i pulled the cap off to check the fluid and some came puking out. It smells a little like diesel, I'm not really making any coolant, but i am losing some everyone i take the cap off. And also the upper radiator hose gets pressurized pretty much instantly but I'm not getting any bubbles in the coolant. Its hard to make sure because the level rises so fast i have to put the cap on to avoid a spill.

So my question is, since I didn't torque the injectors down, is it possible that I'm getting compression into the coolant, or just fuel? I'm going to do a compression check soon and then a leak down test just for giggles. Then i will pull the injectors and do the radiator test. Obviously if the cups are cracked I will see it flow into the cups right? If its a head gasket i will see it come up into the cups right?

Never done this before trying to get some info before i screw something up. I'm getting kinda over this truck because its been taking a lot of money but in the long run its still cheaper then a new one and looks cooler. I just want something i can trust and take the family in without a worry. Thanks

Sent from my Droid RAZR because I told it to...

rustbucket

Reaction score
If you replaced the cups they should be good. If you had oil in the coolant the most commen place to leak is the oil cooler on the driver side of the block it uses coolant to cool the oil. The injectors dont take alot of torque on the hold down bolts and to get fuel in the coolant you would have to have a bad o-ring and cup. If you still have oil in the coolant i would replace the seals on the oil cooler.

birdco85

Reaction score
Oil cooler its brand new, no oil in coolant. I'm wondering that since the injectors weren't torqued down maybe one of the cups pushed up a little??? Which would let compression and diesel into the coolant. I don't know. I Don't think its a blown head gasket .

birdco85

Reaction score
Yeah valve covers are off. I haven't pulled the injectors yet, want to do the compression test and leak down test to try to narrow down a problem cylinder.

And yes, i used the green loctite. Only thing was when inserting them into the cylinder it is pretty much impossible to not touch the sides. And i probably could've cleaned the bores a lot better, i feel like this could be causing something.

rustbucket

Reaction score
A leak down test will point you to the trouble maker. Post your results i would like to see what you find, good luck.

birdco85

Reaction score
Stupid me, the hold down bolts weren't torqued. All is well now, no leaks or pressurizing

Sent from my RAZR because I told it to...

Latest posts

Members online