Readiness Monitors

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Anybody having issues with not having active readiness monitors once tuned in states that have OBD inspection testing? Is it possible to have them active with the EGR deleted and DPF with SCT or H&S? I know Spartan can but they won't write me a custom tune. Also I know the Mustang crowd can do it with SCT. Eric doesn't seem interested in figuring it out even though I basically offer up a blank check. LOL

So i'm just curious what guys are doing in states that require them active while using SCT or H&S? Returning to stock? Obviously that is not much of an option for me.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have never heard of that on a diesel.
96 and newer gas engines yes I have.
In CA all they look for is the emissions stuff installed along with a smoke test.

cory151

Reaction score
I have never heard of that on a diesel.
96 and newer gas engines yes I have.
In CA all they look for is the emissions stuff installed along with a smoke test.

Did they crawl under and look for a DPF? Or is just a stock tailpipe sufficient?

Gearhead

Reaction score
Why would the truck not pass a readiness test if you've driven the miles required since programming?

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Why would the truck not pass a readiness test if you've driven the miles required since programming?

Because SCT shuts them off so when you scan it, they just come up as unsupported from what I understand. H&S does this as well. Everyone should have a p1000 code every time they change tunes or clear codes if they are active. Always did with my previous setup and Spartan tuning. I'm unfamiliar with the software to tune with SCT, is there an option to turn them on or off?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
P1000 is in everytime I scan for codes. I dont change tunes that often either.
I dont know what readiness they are looking for.
Nothing needs to warm up like O2 sensors. The only thing I can think of is turning things off, like EGR for example. But in CA you used to get up to like 3 or something before fail.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
H&S does not turn the monitors off, I showed several of them as ready on my truck with the h&s tuning in it.

Readiness monitors don't have anything to do with o2 sensors. Remember, the new trucks have catalyst, DPF, EGR, misfire, CCM, etc...

If you look at the sticker on the valve cover even on some 6.0's it will say OBD II compliant.

P1000 will ONLY clear when all the OBD readiness monitors have met their cycle criteria.

The criteria is described in the "OBDII THEORY/OPERATION" section of the PC/ED Manual.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
For some reason H&S tuned trucks will not pass the inspection test here so I assumed it was because of the same reason as the SCT's.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I dont know if you can do this to these trucks but in gas engines you could slam the readiness sensors so it sets them instantly even on items not installed.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I'd also love to know if there is a way to get the readiness checks to pass in MA. Every single year I have to put on my egr and dpf system, go get a sticker, then take it all back off again. Major pita, but I don't know of any other way around it?

CT9AIX

Reaction score
If the monitor shows as NOT APPLICABLE instead of NOT READY will it pass?

I believe this will work as long as you know the inspector. Any competent random state inspector will know that there should be some of those items saying "pass" when he plugs in the truck. But like I said, if you know the guy and he just doesent pay attention to it I think it will fly. Ill gladly be a guiney pig and I can check the monitors with my scan tool. I also kept my inspection print out sheet from last year with all my stock stuff installed so I can compare what the scan tool says passes, to what the state test say needs to pass.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
For what its worth, this is the emission related portion of the MA inspection. Pretty sure you can have 1 "Not Ready" as you can see here on mine and still pass. There are only 2 items that relate to the truck, so as long as atleast 1 is working your good to go. They just plug into the OBD2 port, start the truck, let it idle for a minute or so and your done. No tail pipe sniffer.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I've considered myself "lucky" in a certain aspect for MA only plugging in. Atleast now if there was ever a way to modify the PCM to set these monitors to pass even with the emissions stuff missing, I could still pass inspection because of no sniffers. Hopefully one day

Latest posts

Members online