Real rough idle will not accelerate

RoadRash

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been doing a lot of research frantically trying to figure whats going on with my pride and joy. My truck is a late 99 F250 7.3 with around 180,000. It has always run like a champ until yesterday when I pulled into a parking lot. It was idling real rough and sounded like it had a knock almost. I tried to rev it up put it will not accelerate. I have a little bit of blue smoke coming out the exhaust.

So today after searching I thought it could of been the UVCH. So i pulled both valve covers and both connectors where fine, also looked at the pins and all appear okay. I also started the truck and saw each injector was squarting out equal amounts of oil. Then it died...

I also checked the 42 pin connector, as well as the UVCH connector my readings appear good as well

Pass Driver
1= 3.4 8= 3.5
7= 3.1 2= 3.4
3= 3.1 4= 3.4
5= 3.5 6= 3.4

I also stay on top of oil changes with Shaffers. I also drained the fuel bowl and it had pressure, going to the store now to change the filter. I am truly stumped and about to run into traffic if I can't get my truck running again. Any ideas?

I truly appreciate all the help I can get.

golfer

Reaction score
if no CEL/SES is illuminated, then it is going to be a mechanical issue.

first, check the oil level, as aerated engine oil can cause the injectors to (mechanically) fire late.

but, the knocking sound is consistent with either ZERO fuel pressure, or severely contaminated fuel (gas/water, etc). Did these symptoms start immediately after a fill up?

here are instructions on checking fuel pressure...but it's up to you to check fuel quality.

http://swampsdiesel.com/site/how_to_pdf/pdf/fuel_pressure.pdf

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Have you ever replaced the CPS? This can cause your issue and not set a code. Mine did that about 5 years ago, new CPS and problem solved until just recently. Scared the hell out of me causing power drop off then instantly returned and shifted. Nothing broke and no codes. I had installed a new BWD CPS and it worked great for about a month. Put my old black IH CPS back in(my spare) and have not had ant other issues.

RoadRash

Reaction score
if no CEL/SES is illuminated, then it is going to be a mechanical issue.

first, check the oil level, as aerated engine oil can cause the injectors to (mechanically) fire late.

but, the knocking sound is consistent with either ZERO fuel pressure, or severely contaminated fuel (gas/water, etc). Did these symptoms start immediately after a fill up?

here are instructions on checking fuel pressure...but it's up to you to check fuel quality.

http://swampsdiesel.com/site/how_to_pdf/pdf/fuel_pressure.pdf

Thank you for your help, golfer.

I have no CEL/SES is illuminated. Oil level is full and not aerated.

Symptoms did start immediately after a fill up! My truck got low, lower than I normally let it go. I filled it up and about 5 miles later was when everything went down hill. Should I check fuel pressure?

RoadRash

Reaction score
Have you ever replaced the CPS? This can cause your issue and not set a code. Mine did that about 5 years ago, new CPS and problem solved until just recently. Scared the hell out of me causing power drop off then instantly returned and shifted. Nothing broke and no codes. I had installed a new BWD CPS and it worked great for about a month. Put my old black IH CPS back in(my spare) and have not had ant other issues.

I have not replaced CPS. What are the symptoms of a bad CPS? I'm truly poor at the moment and want to make 100% sure I don't buy something i don't need.

RoadRash

Reaction score
Is the ring at the bottom supposed to be loose like this? Could this be my problem?

NCM_0014.jpg

NCM_0015.jpg

NCM_0016.jpg

This was my fuel filter

NCM_0017.jpg

NCM_0018.jpg

RoadRash

Reaction score
well, after some research, the part i called a spring i guess is the fuel bowl heater. I doubt this is my problem.

Anyone have ideas what my problem may be?

Vinny07psd

Reaction score
When you let it get real low on fuel you sucked a bunch of sh*t from the bottom of your tank and messed something up?

RoadRash

Reaction score
When you let it get real low on fuel you sucked a bunch of sh*t from the bottom of your tank and messed something up?

I'm sure I sucked some stuff up. Whether that is the problem or not is what I am trying to figure out. I have a fuel gauge coming tomorrow. Do I just attach it to the test ports and start the truck?

RoadRash

Reaction score
Bad idle is a bad description. At this point it is more of a looping. And to further add while i was driving down the road the truck acted like it was wanting to die. So I turned my TS switch to stock and it continued, I then turned it to race... The truck then accelerated but a new minutes later it finally quit. Started idling/looping and would not accelerate from a stop light.

RoadRash

Reaction score
Checked #19, as well as the rest of the fuses under the hood and in the truck (just in case). All fuses are good. I even ohmed the under hood fuses and they all tested good.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Stop driving itLOL

Was the fuel bowl empty like that when you opened the cap?

Latest posts

Members online