Real smokey

jcain

Reaction score
Some of you guys keep harping on Fords GCVWR. Tires and axle weight is what will mainly determine what you could handle. Hell a guy could stick a 30K lb trailer behind an F-250 if he wanted and as long as it was loaded correctly not to much weight on the truck or trailer have one hell of a load. The trailer brakes will be good for 30K and the truck for the rest.
Also all the guys harping about being legal, how many of you have a de let ed truck?
So give the guy a break he isn't doing anything wrong, PLUS thats not what his question was even about.

Ita not a Bob tail though, that's the issue. Below 15% tongue on a bumper pull and you're asking for it. He's below that I'd wager

valvetick

Reaction score
They come with 35's stock if they had a 20" rim from the factory.

The factory metric sizing is not the same as a true 35 and much lighter weight. But back to the original post. Gearing will help lower egt's and make it less smokey as long as there aren't other issues with the truck such as exhaust leak, boost leak, turbo, bad injector, etc like asked about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The factory metric sizing is not the same as a true 35 and much lighter weight. But back to the original post. Gearing will help lower egt's and make it less smokey as long as there aren't other issues with the truck such as exhaust leak, boost leak, turbo, bad injector, etc like asked about.

A true 35 does not measure to a true 35.

I just took brand new Michelins off and put on Toyo "35's" exact same rpm is still the exact same speed according to the GPS. Plus I measured them. I can take the brand new tires mounted and balanced and put it next to the Michelin with 700 miles on them and lay a strait edge across them with a level and they are dead on.

Going to 5th gear achieves the same thing. The only concern would be rear-end heat. Join the 100,000+ trucks that have 3:55's and drop to 5th!

I also drive a f250 gasser with 3:73's and pull the same in worse conditions. Again. I just drop a gear and live happily ever after from gas station to gas station!! LOL

Last edited:

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I would either live with it, drop to 5th or get the tunes adjusted. The gear change is probably a remote option and not really that great of one for a daily unless you are talking about 3.73s on a truck like this. Different story on a different truck.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
k, dropping to 5th is easy

towed it up to the RV stealer for their 6th attempt to get the entry door closing correctly. No probs in 5th.

If I were in the mood to spend the kind of coin it'd take to regear, I'd certainly rather spend my money on a StreetmaxR 65.5 FIRST. Hands down. Another 150-200hp would be really sweet.

Did order the PMF traction barz...just waiting on them now.

The sway issue, I am about to pull the trigger on a Hensley and sell my Reese. Talked to another guy today w/ the Hensley, he loves it. Says it's like having the truck and trailer welded together.

No CAT, that's not me. It's only puffing in a very small range. Clean the rest of the time.

I'll take another look at the NL intake. Mine is the dry variety and when I looked at it a few weeks ago I was surprised how clean it was. Stupid tube is still rubbing on the hood though, can't seem to resolve that. Wish NL would invent a bracket for it so it wasn't bouncing all over.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The street max at 1600 rpm is going to work well but not cure all the smoke issues either I don't think. I have my tuning pretty conservative so it downshifts before it smokes. ITs a great charger for towing tho (mine is the 64MM version) but I also live at 6000 feet so the lag is probably comparable. I tow my stuff at 70-72, long pulls I drop down to 5th before I start because of coolant temp, not smoke, not egts, need that extra rpm to keep the cooling system happy.

I don't think rear end temps are an issue, ford went away from the aluminum rear cover and you don't see the burnt off paint on the diff cover like you used to see

WHY NOT

Reaction score
k, dropping to 5th is easy

towed it up to the RV stealer for their 6th attempt to get the entry door closing correctly. No probs in 5th.

If I were in the mood to spend the kind of coin it'd take to regear, I'd certainly rather spend my money on a StreetmaxR 65.5 FIRST. Hands down. Another 150-200hp would be really sweet.

Did order the PMF traction barz...just waiting on them now.

The sway issue, I am about to pull the trigger on a Hensley and sell my Reese. Talked to another guy today w/ the Hensley, he loves it. Says it's like having the truck and trailer welded together.

No CAT, that's not me. It's only puffing in a very small range. Clean the rest of the time.

I'll take another look at the NL intake. Mine is the dry variety and when I looked at it a few weeks ago I was surprised how clean it was. Stupid tube is still rubbing on the hood though, can't seem to resolve that. Wish NL would invent a bracket for it so it wasn't bouncing all over.

Gotta have the NL intake just right to not hit. My filter didn't look to bad either. It's a cheap place to start at least way cheaper than gears etc etc

TrickTruck

Reaction score
K,
Got the filter cleaned, wasn't that dirty.
Moved NL stuff around some more, maybe helps.
Installed traction bars
Fixed wireless compressor

All good.

Left out to Hatfield McCoy in WV pulling the trailer up and down those hills between here and there. Kept it in 5th this time.

Was not smokey, but my mileage suffered a little - from 10 in 6th on the flatlands (our last trip) to 8 pulling the mountains in 5th. meh, maybe blame it on the mountains.

Some sections were very twisty and tight on 52. Truck ran well. PMF system made a world of difference towing. Hard to believe I was getting that much axle wrap, but proof is in the doing I guess. 'cause it's a lot better now.

Did have one problem on the way up, when we pulled off for the night we accelerated to the left pulling away from a stop. Truck did a little squirmy shudder thing. At first I thought it was 1st gear in the trans, but quickly diagnosed it as only when turning so it had to be the truetrac that was unhappy. After we stopped I tried to touch the rear diff and it was burning hot.

Next morning we went to auto zone, I lifted the truck with the trailer and changed the fluids to mobile 1 syn 75-140. What came out was pretty nasty...and foamy. New oil, no more noise or shudder. Gone right away. I'll change it one more time and call that fixed.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Interesting you should ask. The engine oil runs 210 pretty consistently except when climbing a hill (downshifted, high revs and pulling hard), then it spikes to 249 and the MM starts chirping and defueling...and I slow down

On my 'look into this' list.

Trans is in the 190s.

Last edited:

Codydiesel

Reaction score
If you take the defuel off on the mm the trucks fan will kick on at 252 and cool itself down. I had that problem a few years ago in new mexico when it would always bump me down to a stock tune.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah the fan temp stuff is in the Tune,

Mine kicks on at 221, pulling heavy my coolant temp never gets above 224 even starting at the bottom of a long hill at 220

dmd

Reaction score
Even better!!

My thoughts exactly, definitely not under the turbo pushing 30lbs of manifold pressure. It's LIT.

Fwiw. I don't disagree with 4:30's. But why? That will flat out stink for a 3/4 ton to have the same ratio as a F450 (or 350 towboss) when not pulling a trailer.

If your at 25k on a bumper pull I hate to say this but its time to get the to tongue weight over the axle and not past the bumper. I just read your trailer sway issue. The sway is most certainly coming from too much balance on the trailer. Now your in a condition of YAW. LIKE A wobbling bullet. I frequently see trucks clean and spec'd out like yours on there side on the interstate from that very same problem.

Trailer manufacturers should not design trailers like that period!! Way to balanced on the trailer. It's either time for a dually conversion of simply a dually. Or a fifth wheel. I know all those options suck, but it's the truth!

Or just do what I did, got a Hensley and the pivot is at the axel. Much cheaper!