Rear Bumper Tire Gate Build pic heavy

PWRstroke_smoke

Reaction score
that looks like amazing work, but here's my question? what size tires do you have? also what do you use your bed for that you can't put a full size spare in the bed? don't take this the wrong way because your craftsmanship is stellar!

Chad
they are 35"on 20. I use my bed all the time so a spare in the bed was a no go. I pull a car hauler with toys and fill the bed with all the camping gear. Plus hauling lumber and building materials is awkward with a spare in the bed. Family owns a home rental company and the homes, so we are always working on them building fences decks and remodels.
very good question!

Total cost was about $300(spindle, lights, latch, paint, and piece of delrin plastic) plus the cost of the iron.
Im not sure how much the iron was, my uncle gave it to me as a christmas present we did all the work as his structural steel shop.

PWRstroke_smoke

Reaction score
thought I would post some updates of the truck
I put a temporary spare on. It doesnt match the wheel style on the truck but its a solid spare until I can afford another bmf and toyo
So far it rides very well, with no vibrations, no squeaks or rattles from the tire gate.
The de-staco latch allows for a nice tight lock onto the delrin landing pad.

56a8bef7.png

0507e1d9.png

I painted the grill with black plasti-dip, sanded it all down first even though the can says you dont have to.
d5aab58e.png

I also sanded the stock chrome bumper down, hit it with some rustoleum self etching primer and then black rustoleum rattle can bedliner. It was the last chrome part on the truck and it was driving me crazy. still planning on a custom front bumper but not until Christmas break.....
540e69dc.png

cbf61946.png

I did a zoodad mod to while it was all torn apart, aluminum frame, galvanized metal screen.
6a7cf2ce.png

795099ae.png

Up next are 2011 tow mirrors and harley headlights. The headlights will arrive saturday fedex!

Last edited:

moose99psd

Reaction score
nice work, great idea.. i just dont think it belongs on these trucks.. its nice to see another fabricators work though!! is there a reason you didn't go with like .250" wall tubing? or .190" ?

PWRstroke_smoke

Reaction score
Thanks, the steel was given to me from the familys structural steel shop so I used what we had and their isn't much stuff smaller than 3/8" laying around! I think it fits the trucks well when you need to utilize the entire 8 ft bed and have to carry a full size spare that won't fit under the truck well everyone has their own taste. Its probably built a little to heavy duty for a yota or something, but thats how we do things!

Last edited:

PWRstroke_smoke

Reaction score
Front headlights came in they are eagle eyes, I ran an extra bead of clear silicon on both lights to ensure no moisture can get in.

The 1/4"-20 c-clips, bolts, and washers are stainless and cost about 5.50 at home depot.

dac72429.png

2ec63f66.png

c5fa3292.png

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
i like the bumper thats some awesome fab skills.

how ever i will throw this out there, on my old 6.0 i was able to fit a 37/12.50/18 spare tire between my reciver hitch in the stock spare tire location up under the truck.

PWRstroke_smoke

Reaction score
How do you like the zoodad mod?, any noticable differences?
I noticed and little better response in 3rd 4th and 5th until the air filter got really dirty!
Its not a eye opening difference but is def. noticeable, haven's tested mileage yet on it but will do it on my next trip and post up numbers here.

only Neg so far is that it does allow the air filter to get dirty more quickly.

PWRstroke_smoke

Reaction score
i like the bumper thats some awesome fab skills.

how ever i will throw this out there, on my old 6.0 i was able to fit a 37/12.50/18 spare tire between my reciver hitch in the stock spare tire location up under the truck.

Thank you sir!

Looks like I can carry 2 spares then!
I had the 35" 12.50 on 20 up under with the BMF wheels for test fit and your correct it did fit but it was too tight and too close to the exhaust for my liking.
the gate is way easier just unbolt it and toss it down on the ground.

actually most of the time Im usually carrying an extra spare tire for the car/toy hauler in the stock spare tire spot.

PWRstroke_smoke

Reaction score
Finally had a free saturday to get the headlights installed.
Used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and the cutting went quick
used riffraff's cutting template also

photo13_zpsdcb58165.jpg

photo3_zps254ef94a.jpg

photo14_zps7c498d64.jpg

photo11_zpsde4e2b17.jpg

photo5_zps06d1118d.jpg

photo12_zps9eb5abd1.jpg

photo4_zpsc5ffcd33.jpg

photo10_zps820b090b.jpg

photo7_zpsc7ec437b.jpg

photo9_zps83581db5.jpg

PWRstroke_smoke

Reaction score
Havent done much to the truck lately, got a new to me camper shell by innovation? for $50 on craigslist, fit is perfect the only problem was the back glass was broken. I have a solution in the works already, ill post pics of the new back window when its finished!
took the 350 on a 2,000 mile trip to Idaho for our honeymoon and camped in the back truck ran great the whole way only averaged 17.6 mpg with 35's not to bad i guess.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online