Rear door will not open

pungohboy

Reaction score
I have an 02 f350 crew cab and the rear passenger door is messed up. The outside handle acts like it is broke and just flops the inside handle will not open the door and the door lock will not go up or down its kind of stuck in the middle. It started the other day when the outside handle wouldn't open the door a couple hits of the unlock button it worked but the handle was a bit floppy then. I plan on tearing into it this weekend but was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue.

If the lock actuator was messed up would it cause the lock knob to be stuck and not move at all or does it sound latch related? Is the non springing back outter handle what happens when that craps out?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section I didn't see a body section.

Thanks

Dantheman

Reaction score
This sounds like multiple problems. The outer door handle should spring back in even if it is taken out of the truck. The lock actuator is a separate piece that connects to the latch assembly. It is possible the linkages could have come off the assembly inside. You will have to get the door open to remove and inspect the parts. It usually very easy to remove but that is after you get the door open. I would try to get something to move the lock actuator lever at the latch assembly through the window gap. You can also spray with lubricant on the latch assembly through the gap if it seems frozen in place. Hopefully the inside door handle will work when it is in the unlocked position. Did someone try to break in the truck through that door handle?

Last edited:

pungohboy

Reaction score
Nobody has ever tried to break into it that I know of. I was thinking initially that the outer handle was bad but with it not opening or the lock mechanism moving I didn't know if that would make the handle act up. I forgot to mention that the last time I opened it when I shut it it did not latch I had to mess with the latch and then ended up messing with the lock knob and it finally caught. I'm hoping that I can find a way to get the door open tonight or tomorrow.
I'll try to get something down the window gap Thanks.

Golddigger

Reaction score
You should be able to get the inner panel off from inside the truck. The little plastic clips that hold the linkage break and allow them to flop out.

pungohboy

Reaction score
Golddigger thanks for that I was able to pull the panel off and get the door open. I think its good to go now. My issue with the inside was some dummy (me) had moved the child lock switch the other day when I was trying to get it shut. I was able to see the part that activated the latch and manually move it which let the lock knob move right then unlocked it and opened from the latch. The outer door handle flopping was strange but i was able to be replicate it by holding the inside handle and then opening the outer handle I think things were just gumed up somewhere I sprayed everything with pb blaster and couldn't get it to mess up again. Thanks again Dantheman and Golddigger for your input.

ZBFARMS

Reaction score
Superduty crewcab rear doors

hey thanks golddigger and friends - DSR door was stuck closed with little warning, same symptoms as described by you folks....I popped the panel off without moving seat via the two 7mm head screws, opened the door, and washed the gunk out of the latch and lock mechanisms with WD40. Works fine now!!! Did the other side to get ahead of that one before it too failed.

thanks again boys!!

Latest posts

Members online