Rear End Gasket?

imelmo

Reaction score
Does anyone sell a gasket for the rear end cover? We've rtv'd mine two or three times now and it always eventually gets a small leak.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I cleaned the rearend out, brakekleened it, dried it off with towels, emery cloth the.mating surfaces and grey death. No leaks. Never leaked when I followed that same prep and used red high temp permatex.

If it leaks it.wasnt clean.

O ring?

Zmann

Reaction score
done properly RTV will fill a larger imperfection than a gasket

is this a OEM finned aluminum cover or stamped steel ?

imelmo

Reaction score
I cleaned the rearend out, brakekleened it, dried it off with towels, emery cloth the.mating surfaces and grey death. No leaks. Never leaked when I followed that same prep and used red high temp permatex.

If it leaks it.wasnt clean.

O ring?

What's grey death?

I'll give it another shot tomorrow. What synthetic do y'all recommend putting in it?

Zmann

Reaction score
stuffs great but overkill for a simple dif unless you happen to ave it laying around

Zmann

Reaction score
Just ask for 7.3 engine assembly lube.

that will likely get you a assembly lube not a sealant LOL

but 20 bucks for a special sealant that you could have used cheap RTV for is a waste IMHO

MOTORCRAFT TA-31 LIQUID OIL PAN GASKET

Last edited:

T.R.P.

Reaction score
that will likely get you a assembly lube not a sealant LOL

but 20 bucks for a special sealant that you could have used cheap RTV for is a waste IMHO

MOTORCRAFT TA-31 LIQUID OIL PAN GASKET

Most dealers know what you mean when you say that.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Permatex "The Right Stuff" is what I used. I tried a Felpro paper gasket and regular oil resistant silicone and they both sprung a small leak. I then decided to go with the 08 finned aluminum cover and used The Right Stuff in the pre-cut groove on it. It has been almost a year and not a single drop has leaked out of there yet.

Here is a pic of my 08 cover if you are interested in going that route. They are cheap too.

reardiff2.jpg

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I used blue permatex when I first did the 08 cover an it leaked, then went with the black permatex and it's been holding for about 6 months now
I used moble 1 75w/140

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive used everything following my cleaning method detailed above and the two that didnt.leak were the redpermatex and fords grey silicone. Its 20$ for a tube. Completely forgettable for a leak free service on vehicles that modifications are counted in thousands.

Im done.

Stroker04

Reaction score
I cleaned mine thoroughly, bought the 08 diff cover and new stainless bolts. I also used the right stuff like Justin said. I've had mine on for 4 years and no leaks.

Charles

Reaction score
If you're scraping the surfaces clean and you don't have a huge gouge or something, then there will not be a leak with a silicone sealant.

If you do have a problem that silicone can't accommodate, then a gasket would just DUMP the fluid on the ground instead.

As suggested, use International Gray silicone if you want to get silly. Be prepared to wad that pos cover up into a ball if you want to remove it again if that's what you're using.

If it's not the OEM cover, I bet the OEM cover would magically solve your issue vs a pos tin can cover.

I have a Mag Hytec on the 250 with the O-ring sealed cover. It has never leaked, and I can pull the cover over and over with nothing to clean and nothing to replace as many times as I like. Plus it has a sweet fill plug and dipstick.

If I weren't running the OEM cover, I'd run a Mag Hytec. Don't see the point of the other sh*t. But I do notice the cheesy little ones leak pretty well. Usually they aren't strong enough to keep from deflecting between bolts.

If you're running the OEM steel cover, then I'd say it's gouged, or bent.

sootie

Reaction score
the finned aluminum cover is a cheap upgrade. i used the gray silicone stuff from the dealer and no leaks at all

Latest posts

Members online