Rear End Gasket?

imelmo

Reaction score
the finned aluminum cover is a cheap upgrade. i used the gray silicone stuff from the dealer and no leaks at all

I ordered the finned cover and have the grey stuff sitting on my desk. Cover should be here tomorrow or Friday.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you're scraping the surfaces clean and you don't have a huge gouge or something, then there will not be a leak with a silicone sealant.

If you do have a problem that silicone can't accommodate, then a gasket would just DUMP the fluid on the ground instead.

As suggested, use International Gray silicone if you want to get silly. Be prepared to wad that pos cover up into a ball if you want to remove it again if that's what you're using.

If it's not the OEM cover, I bet the OEM cover would magically solve your issue vs a pos tin can cover.

I have a Mag Hytec on the 250 with the O-ring sealed cover. It has never leaked, and I can pull the cover over and over with nothing to clean and nothing to replace as many times as I like. Plus it has a sweet fill plug and dipstick.

If I weren't running the OEM cover, I'd run a Mag Hytec. Don't see the point of the other sh*t. But I do notice the cheesy little ones leak pretty well. Usually they aren't strong enough to keep from deflecting between bolts.

If you're running the OEM steel cover, then I'd say it's gouged, or bent.

First off, let me file a disclaimer. Im not a master mechanic. Not by any means! Im also not smarter than anyone else or anything like that. Got that outta the way.

Some dewsh I know that I am sorta forced to deal with knows everything. So Im very.shocked when he calls ME acting humble and needs help. Not really. This stupid ***kin Bob Vila wanna be azzhole was giving me the what for when I mentioned.changing the rear diff fluid in my 12 duramax. Its got a lot of miles on it already and i think the fluid.is.burnt. So he told me "how its done". Also he told me make sure you get a few QUARTS of "friction multiplifier".

So last weekend he calls me. "Hey Im down here rebuilding the rearend in my new truck(13 superduty 6.7 KR). The fuggin cover just keeps leaking. How'd you make out on yours?" I simply said I believed it.was fine. No leaks and the ratcheting sounds are.gone too.

Thing is he didnt clean the surfaces at all. Scraping the old.sealant off is great but that isnt clean. Ive seen dozens of people scrape, wipe, appply, and stand there.dumbfounded when that bitsh is leaking the next week.

Like I said, I clean it very well and the red permatex rtv works fine. Or, since I have it laying around the grey death. I have gotten the covers free from grey death by running a razor knife in between the cover and housing and then pop it off. May seem silly but it doesnt.develop a weep like some cheap frikkin blue or black silicone.

I would looove a cover with an oring so I could change the.fluid more often. My 250 is on its sixth oil change in 265k. Simply because I hate dicking with it. A drain and fill plug would be BA as well.

My point wasnt to.contradict something you said but some "good, savvy mechanics" are actually dolts that just pretend to know everything. Like my "buddy" I talked about.

Charles

Reaction score
The Mag Hytec has a huge drain and fill port, big enough to pour the fluid in without the dumb ass little squirt spout even on there. Plus it has a dipstick attached to the fill plug to read fluid level. Plus the dipstick is magnetic so it captures all the furries being that it's sitting midway of the fluid right near the ring. I always pull a big wad of sh*t off the dipstick.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The Mag Hytec has a huge drain and fill port, big enough to pour the fluid in without the dumb ass little squirt spout even on there. Plus it has a dipstick attached to the fill plug to read fluid level. Plus the dipstick is magnetic so it captures all the furries being that it's sitting midway of the fluid right near the ring. I always pull a big wad of sh*t off the dipstick.

Really? How much did that whore cost?

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I love my Mag Hytec covers! Little pricy but it is worth it IMO. And Danny, if you did want to use a gasket I'll send you one for free...

Zmann

Reaction score
An awful lot of posting about sticking a piece of unneeded paper in your rear end
LOL

Latest posts

Members online