Rear end gears?

06powerstroke

Reaction score
Just wondering what gears I should get for my 6.0. I'm real tired of 3.73's on these 35's. What brands to you guys suggest and what ratio will get me close to stock gearing and tires? Thanks.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Well what are you looking for? You want to go higher or lower? What's wrong with the 3.73's and 35's?

06powerstroke

Reaction score
Well what are you looking for? You want to go higher or lower? What's wrong with the 3.73's and 35's?

I want to go to a higher ratio, like 4.10 or whatever to be like stock again. With the bigger tires and stock gears towing my trailer sucks. For example stock I was at about 1500 rpm at 50 mph, now at 1500 I'm at about 55 mph... I just have no idea what gears to buy or what axles my truck has, lol.

NotStock

Reaction score
Most people really like 3.73's with 35's. What size trailer are you towing? The cost to change gears is gonna be around $800-1k including labor so you def wanna make sure you think its worth it before you swap them out.

06powerstroke

Reaction score
Most people really like 3.73's with 35's. What size trailer are you towing? The cost to change gears is gonna be around $800-1k including labor so you def wanna make sure you think its worth it before you swap them out.

30ft toy hauler. I think it's almost 10k loaded. I really do just want it back like stock, gain a little lost power back and have a fixed speedo! I can do the gears myself so I will save in labor.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I wouldn't change a thing personally, I think 3.73's and 35's are a perfect combo. I didn't even think 37's with those gears was bad.

Do you use any sort of a tow tune on your SCT?

A tow tune with 3.73's and 35's has got to outpull a 3.73 stock tired truck with no tune...

chromehound

Reaction score
Thanks that site helped alot. However what rear axle do I have? That site lists a Dana 70 and a Ford 10.5" for my year of truck.

Don't hold me to this but I think the Dana should be stamped D70 somewhere on/near the diff, that's how they were on my Dodge and IIRC the front Dana 50 in my OBS was stamped.

Betarocker

Reaction score
Forgive me if I state the obvious, but you'll need to re-gear the front to match the rear (your avatar shows a 4WD, and you signature lists the truck as a FX4).

I run 4.10s with 37s, and the combination works great. The 4.10s with 35s will be better for towing, but your interstate cruising RPMs will be higher and be more noticeable when un-trailered.

Yukon make very good gears. You'll need master install kits for both the Sterling 10.5" rear differential and Dana 60 (35 spline) front. As all the guts will be out, check the bearings and seals, as well as the ball-joints and u-joints on the front. Also, it would be a time to look into selectable locker or something of a better quality to replace the limited slip rear differential.

06powerstroke

Reaction score
4.10's would be nice, ive always used 3.73's for 33's, 4.10's for 35"s and 4.56's for 37"s.

If you want a R&P ill gladly get you taken care of man.
Thanks, can you PM me about it?
Forgive me if I state the obvious, but you'll need to re-gear the front to match the rear (your avatar shows a 4WD, and you signature lists the truck as a FX4).

I run 4.10s with 37s, and the combination works great. The 4.10s with 35s will be better for towing, but your interstate cruising RPMs will be higher and be more noticeable when un-trailered.

Yukon make very good gears. You'll need master install kits for both the Sterling 10.5" rear differential and Dana 60 (35 spline) front. As all the guts will be out, check the bearings and seals, as well as the ball-joints and u-joints on the front. Also, it would be a time to look into selectable locker or something of a better quality to replace the limited slip rear differential.
Ya I know I need front and rear, I always just call the diff gears "rear ends" out of habit, even if I'm talking about the front. Highway RPM won't bother me as I'm rarely on it. I really want to do a locker but it comes down to price. Thanks for the info!

willholl79

Reaction score
My 6.0 has 3.73s and 35s, and it sucks to drive in the 45-50 mph range. The torque converter locks and unlocks too much. Any speed above or below it is fine. My tires are 13.00 wide instead of 12.50, so that added width causes a little additional friction/drag I'm sure.

I would love to go to 4.10s to get rid of my 45-50 sluggishness, but don't won't to loose 75-80mph cruising speed.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Go to Hoopers Rearend Exchange they are near you. Good price and you can wait for it. Good Guys.
I had an 04 and I had 4.56's with 35's and liked it, but the truck was used mainly for towing. Was not too bad unloaded in my eyes either, but I never cruised at 80 very often either.
If you drive on the Freeway a lot without a load and drive faster, get 4.30's.
If you like 90+ get 4.10's.

Ross3031

Reaction score
You can go to Ford and have them re-calibrate your speedo, I've had them do it a couple times for all the tire size changes I've done. I think it was around $70

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Don't go over 4.10
I have 4.30 and 35s and hate it on the highway. I run about 2250rpm at 70 compared to 1750 in a stock rig

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I dont think 4.10's are enough of a jump to justify the cost.
It is easy to do, new tire size/old tire size and multiply by your stock gear ratio.
This will give you the gearing required to get you back to stock.
The use of the truck will be the deciding factor on gears. If you dont tow dont touch it.
If you do, a gear swap is one of the best things you can do. It is easier on the entire drivetrain. Should try towing with 4.88's and a 34" tire. It is GREAT!!! But unloaded sucks ass, RPM's are too high for any mileage.

06powerstroke

Reaction score
I am going with 4.10's guys, thanks for all the input! I know highway RPM's will be higher but IMO it's worth it for when I pull my trailer. After using a truck with 4.88's I really don't like my 3.73's any more...

Latest posts

Members online