Rear hub seal help

Jbird

Reaction score
Noticed rear hub passenger side was leaking so I pulled it all apart yesterday. From what i can tell the slinger came apart and ruined the seal? Either way the slinger is in pieces and some of that got into the bearings. They dont feel bad yet but i ordered new ones along with the seal and sling.
My question is i found this spring
aac873cbfa9829dbff826d19b3852d83.jpg

I knew they use these in some seals to pull it tight on a shaft and im wondering if it came out of the old seal? Any info would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewer

Reaction score
Wish I could find a good pic of it but yes, the spring is inside the hub seal. The Timken replacement comes with two halves and it sits where they go together IIRC. The two pieces rotate on each other as the wheel spins.

Jbird

Reaction score
This is the new seal i was told to get the old one looked very similar but not exactly the same. The diameters seem right though.
33362f9e1366929c217b63743b598a13.jpg

brewer

Reaction score
IIRC the spring should be on the backside of that seal on the inner lip

Jbird

Reaction score
Ok good. Just trying to make sure that was the problem and i didnt need to dig in to it more

Jbird

Reaction score
Ok another question. When i get it all back together and go to torque it to 60 ft/lbs like it says the bearings are way to tight i cant imagine its right. So instead of backing off the 6 or 7 clicks i was told to. I back off closer to 20 before it got where i felt comfortable with it. Has anyone had this problem?
The bearings are new

Zmann

Reaction score
slinger taking out a seal is common on these
pretty ridiculous if you ask me

my manual ( mitchel DIY but should be right out of the ford book
says 70 ft lbs back off 180* then tighten to 20ft lbs and check for play

Last edited:

Jbird

Reaction score
Thats about what i ended up doing. Ive set tapered bearings in many other applications and never put that kind of pressure on them. I figured the initial torque would seat them then back of to actually set the clearance

Jbird

Reaction score
The shaft was a little ate up from the slinger coming apart but not where the bearings set

Jbird

Reaction score
Well i got it all together and i seem to have kind of a grinding/rubbing noise. I noticed it looked like my caliper was locked up and rubbing the rotor. Pulled the caliper apart had new brake pads already sitting around so swapped them made sure the pins were sliding free and re assemble. Still getting the noise.
Ive got a rotor on the way to try but im worried that it has to do with the hub. I noticed when i was installing the hub amd sitting the bearings that the end of the hub where the seal is doesnt meet against the other little seal that is on the axle at the end of the smooth machined surface. Im wondering if something is causing my bearings to tighten up to soon and holding my hub off which would keep my rotor farther out then it should be causing the pads to rub harder?
I noticed another noise that worries me. When i stop hard now it has that "bad u-joints squeak" to it. Im just worried i dont have it right and i could be looking at ruining another set of bearings and possibly an axle and differential. And insight would be great

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people not remove the wear sleeve off the spindle and try to press a new seal on top of it. When it is removed it comes apart in 2 pieces.

Jbird

Reaction score
So there isnt a separate seal on the spindle

Zmann

Reaction score
there isn't a wear sleeve on these unless someone fixed your spindle previously
the seal rides right on the axle spindle
it does sound like you might have botched this a little

check it against the other side for depth

Jbird

Reaction score
Thats what im think. Ive been waking up early and and working on it so it doesnt surprise me that ive had trouble with it. No caffeine or food with about 5 hours of sleep lol. Im going to start over my next day off

Zmann

Reaction score
your sure you have the right seal ? and you bought a new slinger ?

Jbird

Reaction score
Got the part number off sunrise's website for the seal. The bearings and slinger came straight from ford. The cups i didnt replace because theres nothing wrong with them.

I think i didnt pay enough attention maybe left a big burr on the spindle from the slinger coming apart and didnt get it cleaned up enough

Zmann

Reaction score
mine had some damage also
i was getting ready to clean it up with emery cloth but I had an extended warranty so i put it back together gold speckled fluid an all and let them fix it new bearings fluid seals but the crap warranty didn't cover pads and shoes that were oil soaked
I thought the spindle might be screwed when I had seen it
but they said no ( Strictly Diesel)

and 50,000 miles later proved them right

Jbird

Reaction score
Interesting. Well originally i wasnt gona mess with the shoes but now i think im going to fix those while im at it. When i get back in there im Sure ill find whatever it is and make myself feel dumb.

The way one video i watched described the "feet" of the slinger actually sit in the back of the inner bearing. I didnt notice that mine would do such. Also wondering if anyone has seen what it does without the slinger considering it seems to be the source of the problems people have

Jbird

Reaction score
Got it. I did leave the metal ring thats made in to the seal on the spindle. I thought it was just a shoulder that the seal ran up to.
Oh well ya live and ya learn.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.