Rear main seal

LMPirate

Reaction score
Putting in a 15' motor in my 11' and it looks like the rear main is leaking. Anybody replace one before? Just wondering what all it in tails and if any special tools are required. Thanks for the help

John.

Reaction score
Not really all that difficult. The new seal will come with a plastic guide to prevent rolling the seal lip. Pull the flexplate plate, ckp sensor, ckp tone wheel, pull the seal out. Do not scratch the crank because the seal doesn't come with a wear ring. Place the plastic tool on the crank and push the seal in, drive it to depth with a blunt punch. DO NOT forget the tone wheel behind the flexplate plate.

John.

Reaction score
It stays on. There's aftermarket tools available from freedom racing. Removal tool #303-1513 install tool #303-1514 I would probably recommend the removal tool if you haven't done many seals like this. They do rent the tools out but it's about %50 of retail price.

LMPirate

Reaction score
I noticed that aluminum plate had a crack in it. Is there bolts that go through the upper oil pan that hold the bottom on?

John.

Reaction score
No problem, you're welcome. Only other tips is clean the old silicone off where the front cover meets the block with a razor blade, clean and dry with brake cleaner, add a generous amount of the Ford grey silicone at each point where the front and rear covers meet, new pan oring of course.

Latest posts

Members online