rear spring swap story

Copracr

Reaction score
I thought I'd share how much fun it is swapping some c code springs onto my Ex. I started with the rear passenger and broke off both the a/c line bolts. Then I had to heat up all 4 U bolts. Then the rear shackle bolt had to be torched. I only expected to get one done this evening but damn, that was a lot of work. And I still don't have that side buttoned up.

If you don't have torches, I wouldn't even try this. Total pita

average

Reaction score
I had the same problems with ALL my springs/shackles when putting the 6.5" lift springs on. (realize mines a SD but still...) Had to cut 1 of the leaf spring bolts to get the one rear spring out as well. Torch bolts, loosen bolts, torch shackles... ugh Seems like a lot of guys have good luck but man was mine a bear as well as that fuggin pitman arm.

U bolts were the easy part.

Copracr

Reaction score
I had the same problems with ALL my springs/shackles when putting the 6.5" lift springs on. (realize mines a SD but still...) Had to cut 1 of the leaf spring bolts to get the one rear spring out as well. Torch bolts, loosen bolts, torch shackles... ugh Seems like a lot of guys have good luck but man was mine a bear as well as that fuggin pitman arm.

U bolts were the easy part.

I pulled these new springs off my pickup before I parted it out and the pickup has so much more room. I couldn't get my impac on the u bolts on the ex cause the body is in the way

Copracr

Reaction score
Well, I just buttoned it up with a brand new set of Gabriel max control shocks. Rides like a caddy, I love it. I took it down one of the nearby really ****ty roads and it blew right through the bumps. I hung a couple corners and it stays upright and composed.
I bought it with 6" skyjacker front springs and OE rears with 4" blocks and a beat down set of bilsteins. I replaced the front with X codes and the rear with C codes. In the future I will want some stiffer shocks but I'm pretty happy for now.

TARM

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you FINALLY LOL

IN the future if you did not do this starting your proper work many days before you actually start the work will go a long ways to making it easier. Hit all the bolt and nuts with a wire wheel. Then spray soaking wet with PB blaster each day all of those nuts and bolts. Things should go better after a week of that. If one is tough to break free then hit it with a little heat first. Some will not come off no matter how much prep but it usually has good luck much of the time.

Copracr

Reaction score
The second side went a lot faster, i just torched the u-bolts off, lol. It wasnt a problem getting the nuts off the bolts. The problem was getting the rear bolts out of the shackles. They were just totally stuck in there. It sucked. I torched them too and just left the shank of the bolts in the old springs

TARM

Reaction score
Yep honestly given the cost of ubolts and the PITA they can be I just cut them off. Do not even bother trying. They should be changed anyways so what is the point. That is how I handle most all suspension stuff now. How much is it to replace or is going to be replaced as part of the process? If so grinder, reciprocating saw, torch, plasma whatever they are getting cut and banged out.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Yep honestly given the cost of ubolts and the PITA they can be I just cut them off. Do not even bother trying. They should be changed anyways so what is the point. That is how I handle most all suspension stuff now. How much is it to replace or is going to be replaced as part of the process? If so grinder, reciprocating saw, torch, plasma whatever they are getting cut and banged out.

It's funny, when I did my leveling kit EVERYBODY told me the same. After breaking the nust loose ( I used a breaker bar, but it was very easy) I had no issues removing the OEM U-bolts. And I live in salt/rust central, lmao!

FTR... I did not try to re-use them, although I'm still convinced they would work. I did save them "in case of an emergency" tho.

Copracr

Reaction score
It's funny, when I did my leveling kit EVERYBODY told me the same. After breaking the nust loose ( I used a breaker bar, but it was very easy) I had no issues removing the OEM U-bolts. And I live in salt/rust central, lmao!

FTR... I did not try to re-use them, although I'm still convinced they would work. I did save them "in case of an emergency" tho.

I re-use factory u bolts frequently as long as they're in good shape. These ones were crusty though. Come to think of it, I've never used new u-bolts

Latest posts

Members online