Recommend a muffler that doesn't neuter my truck?

average

Reaction score
Right now I have installed a 5" turbo back diamond eye exhaust. I loved the exhaust straight pipe as I ordered it however in the great state of Pennsylvania a muffler is required. I had a MBRP muffler welded on (great quality) and just am not happy with the sound (muffler doing what it's supposed to) and EGT/performance loss.

My truck smokes more and runs hotter and slower with this muffler on. The inside of the muffler has scoops that run into the exhaust path, I even had it installed where the scoops are facing away from exhaust flow.

Would a straight through race gasser muffler work where the inside of the muffler doesn't protrude into the exhaust path? Like a dynomax bullet maybe.

jwlandry

Reaction score
Take a 5" muffler, gut it, and run you a piece of 5" pipe through the center. Looks like a muffler but it's all straight pipe in reality.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Put the muffler on backwards.

He tried that.

I run the diamond eye muffler, and it sounds great. Low tone when idling and driving through town. But with a touch of the throttle, it opens up. It was exactly what i was looking for. I didnt notice, do you have your CAT installed? "No CAT" will greatly affect the way your truck sounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

golfer

Reaction score
Right now I have installed a 5" turbo back diamond eye exhaust. I loved the exhaust straight pipe as I ordered it however in the great state of Pennsylvania a muffler is required. I had a MBRP muffler welded on (great quality) and just am not happy with the sound (muffler doing what it's supposed to) and EGT/performance loss.

My truck smokes more and runs hotter and slower with this muffler on. The inside of the muffler has scoops that run into the exhaust path, I even had it installed where the scoops are facing away from exhaust flow.

Would a straight through race gasser muffler work where the inside of the muffler doesn't protrude into the exhaust path? Like a dynomax bullet maybe.

...you noticed higher EGT's and less performance with a 5" muffler on a 5" exhaust system?

what turbo & injectors are on the truck?

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Thats weird, I had the muffler when I first put the exhaust on, now straight piped and noticed no difference in egt's or performance.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

dude i hate to bear bad news, but its in your head. you are against mufflers,prolly were made to put it on(police). now you mentally think its hurting the trucks performance,because its on there.

we are talking about 5" of exhaust pipe. the truck had 3"(downpipe factory)

unless you have a mechanical 7.3 and huge compounds,with enough fuel that the truck shouldnt be on the street? then i say that exhaust is more than fine with a muffler. 4" with a muffler is fine.

im going to go out on a limb and say you still have a stock turbo?

if you want to check something? measure your exhaust wheel then measure your downpipe opening. you will be amazed at what you see.

im not trying to be a dick,but your mufflers isnt your issue. you are!!

average

Reaction score
...you noticed higher EGT's and less performance with a 5" muffler on a 5" exhaust system?

what turbo & injectors are on the truck?

38r, 238/100's. It may seem hard to believe but I can see my EGT's run hotter, a lil less power after the muffler install. I got a 5" just because I didn't think a muffler would make much difference vs. a 4" system. It's mostly noticeable in the hotter settings and towing my toy hauler.

average

Reaction score
dude i hate to bear bad news, but its in your head. you are against mufflers,prolly were made to put it on(police). now you mentally think its hurting the trucks performance,because its on there.

we are talking about 5" of exhaust pipe. the truck had 3"(downpipe factory)

unless you have a mechanical 7.3 and huge compounds,with enough fuel that the truck shouldnt be on the street? then i say that exhaust is more than fine with a muffler. 4" with a muffler is fine.

im going to go out on a limb and say you still have a stock turbo?

if you want to check something? measure your exhaust wheel then measure your downpipe opening. you will be amazed at what you see.

im not trying to be a dick,but your mufflers isnt your issue. you are!!

Well no, it's not a stock turbo or stock injectors. Was live tuned last summer with 238/100's and my 38r 1.15 housing. Before the muffler install I frankly couldn't get it to get much above 1250 unless I was in the hot settings and floored. Now I can get up there real quick, boost is the same as it was before so maybe it's in my head maybe not.

In the meantime I think I'll try a more straight through muffler as the louvers inside this one shrink the interior down to much less than 5"... maybe more like 3-4"?

06-sixoh

Reaction score
You drive your truck everyday, and nobody is going to be able to tell you what you should see, and what you should feel. So for people to argue whether you actually see a difference or not, IMO, is rediculous.

Try gutting out a muffler, and run a housing like i did with my CAT. i would try that first. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

farmall99

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a turbo considered a muffler in some states? If not I'd do like these guys are saying and run a "dummy" muffler.

TARM

Reaction score
Some questions:

What kind of muffler did you put on it? Brand, modlel, size, and type (freeflow,fiberglass filed,chambered etc)

What were the egts before and after the muffler? As exact as you can be and whatt type of driving I.e. wot, cruising, towing, what?

What egt gauge are you running and what is the temp scale?

Did you data log these or were you just going by eyeing the gauge while driving?

To really know you need to measure backpressure at the downpipe near the turbine with it on and off.

Last edited:

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
To the op..... I'm in pa an iv gotten mine inspected at a ford garage with no muffler ever since I got my hands on it. Why do you have to put one on? Cops? All around my are don't run them. They don't really have to have them

Sent from my Pear phone using Tapatalk

average

Reaction score
Some questions:

What kind of muffler did you put on it? Brand, modlel, size, and type (freeflow,fiberglass filed,chambered etc)

MBRP 5" muffler with louvered interior (scoops) for diesel trucks. Had the muffler shop face the scoops away from exhaust flow. Looking into the muffler though the scoops came out into the exhaust flow at least an inch all the way around.

What were the egts before and after the muffler? As exact as you can be and whatt type of driving I.e. wot, cruising, towing, what?

Normal fun driving 80hp tunes wouldn't top 1250, tuned that way. 140 I could get er up to 1500 or so if I buried the pedal and kept it there. Towing in 60 with my ~7k trailer wouldn't see over 1250 unless LONG steep grade or passing uphill normal driving stayed around 900-1000.

Now 80hp will get up to 1400 If I don't pay attention while having fun. 140 will peg the gauge. Towing in 60 is useless if there are hills as I will be well past 1250, cruising down to Myrtle Beach I was at 1150-1250 around 70-75mph in my 40 towing tune, 60 would have been worse.

What egt gauge are you running and what is the temp scale?

This gauge here, http://bulletproofyourdiesel.com/i-7437427-auto-meter-ultra-lite-pyrometer-gauge-kit-4344.html
0-1600

Did you data log these or were you just going by eyeing the gauge while driving?

No data logging, don't have the ability. I just watch my gauges, always do.

To really know you need to measure backpressure at the downpipe near the turbine with it on and off.

Don't have that ability hmm.

Bold.

average

Reaction score
To the op..... I'm in pa an iv gotten mine inspected at a ford garage with no muffler ever since I got my hands on it. Why do you have to put one on? Cops? All around my are don't run them. They don't really have to have them

Sent from my Pear phone using Tapatalk

I've always went to the same guy since moving here to get my stuff inspected, good local garage but follows EVERY rule in the inspection manual to a 'T'. I know he wont screw me with anything so I'd rather just get a better flowing muffler. (or figure out if it's in my head or not?)

TARM

Reaction score
That sure seems odd as iirc that turbo is about 5" in diameter on the inside. Those egt jumps are significant.

Any possibility you have a leak somewhere cuasing egts to go up and its just a bad coincidence?

Honestly I just looked over the PA. Inspection. Honestly if inspectors did everything on there about 80% of the trucks on here would not pass. Does your guy honestly take your truck out for a full road test?

Latest posts

Members online