Recovery tank upgrade

Strokersace

Reaction score
Funny you should ask that question cause I just bought 1 a couple of weeks ago from the junk yard to try and retrofit onto my obs. Not sure if it can be done or not with the a/c condensor lines where they're at. Also, the shroud might be shaped different under where the coolant tank would go. Have't spent much time on looking at it yet.

Would like to see if someone has done this as well? And pics too!

BigJDW

Reaction score
well I've got a new one on the way... I gotta replace my original tank one way or another so i hope the the later model tank will work cause i cant find any new obs tanks and i really dont want a used one

old man dave

Reaction score
I just bought a new tank from the dealer a couple of weeks ago. Mine's a 97 but you could switch the hoses to the 97 configuration.

BigJDW

Reaction score
Nice guess it never hurts to call and double check cause when i looked it up on line none of the deals around me had it in stock and there was a side note saying ford didn't make it any more or something like that

JD3020

Reaction score
How much did a new OBS tank run? My coolant and washer tanks look pretty bad and i wanna replace, but knowing they are dealer only OBS parts i have a feeling they aren't cheap.

old man dave

Reaction score
The LMC truck catalog lists the radiator overflow tanks for 1995 through 1997.
LMC Truck 1-800-LMC-TRUCK or online at LMC truck.com

BigJDW

Reaction score
Before all the comments roll in i did this with what i had handy. If i had better tooling and materials i would have done it different.

BEFORE
IMAG0069.jpg

AFTER
IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

Had to cut the shroud. I cut more than I should have because i thought the tank was going to sit further over.
IMAG0070.jpg

I used one of the mounting holes and made another hole to match the mounts on the battery tray with a couple of washers. The other side is temporarily held in place by zip ties because the other mount had to be cut to clear the radiator.
IMAG0071.jpg

Strokersace

Reaction score
Cool work. Is that the furthest that it'll sit inward or could there be a bracket built to come off the battery box to bring it up and in more? Or would it hit the hood? I'm wanting to do it whenever I have time.

BigJDW

Reaction score
It probably could go over more but you will have to trim the top of the fan shroud. The way it sits now the insulation on the hood touches but not the hood.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Can you get a pic looking from the front to show the overflow tank in relation to the end mount of the radiator?

glovemeister

Reaction score
Is the SD tank one big and one small hose? How much work is it to retrofit? The stock one just started having a pin hole leak in my 97 and reckon I should upgrade.

glovemeister

Reaction score
I found the SD tanks for about $70, and the OBS tank for like $80. I like the idea of a SD tank, but is the work worth ten less on purchase price?

Latest posts

Members online