Red Coolant

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Anyone out there run the red coolant in a 6.4? Just curious if its better than the gold. Or what is the preferred coolant? I hear lots of mixed opinions on this subject.

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
I run cat elc (red) in everything even my wifes impala

Same here. I also put it in everything. We keep a couple 55 gallon drums of it in stock at my work at all times so it's easy for to me access. It is maintenance free for 150,000 miles and advertised to last 300,000 in most light and medium duty applications. With the gold coolant you must routinely check the anti corrosion strength with the Rotunda test strips. How many people do you think actually stay on top of this, let alone think about checking their coolant? Some may say a lot of people do, but I imagine for every one owner that does over a hundred don't. I'm in no way saying that the gold coolant is bad, or else ford wouldn't recommend using it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Same here. I also put it in everything. We keep a couple 55 gallon drums of it in stock at my work at all times so it's easy for to me access. It is maintenance free for 150,000 miles and advertised to last 300,000 in most light and medium duty applications. With the gold coolant you must routinely check the anti corrosion strength with the Rotunda test strips. How many people do you think actually stay on top of this, let alone think about checking their coolant? Some may say a lot of people do, but I imagine for every one owner that does over a hundred don't. I'm in no way saying that the gold coolant is bad, or else ford wouldn't recommend using it.

Cat still recomends using a test strip and testing the coolant at specified hours or miles, we as a dealer dont even do it, I have done it a couple times and mostly its within spec or damn close anyway. WE change the coolant at engine replacements/overhauls, and never really look back. The main reason i run it in my 6.4 is because cat claims almost not calcification of the coolant to plug coolers....

Thats because you can put it in your man purse a gallon at a time and walk out

LOL
Is the Cat ELC different than the stuff Ford is putting in the 6.7's?

Not sure, it sure looks close, i can't imagine that its much different, the color is really close too, maybe just a hair more orange/pink i keep meaning to actually compare them but never have.

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
Cat still recomends using a test strip and testing the coolant at specified hours or miles, we as a dealer dont even do it, I have done it a couple times and mostly its within spec or damn close anyway. WE change the coolant at engine replacements/overhauls, and never really look back. The main reason i run it in my 6.4 is because cat claims almost not calcification of the coolant to plug coolers.

Do you know what specified miles or hours that is? I know you still have to test it but I thought most cat ec-1/compatible coolants didn't have to be tested for 150,000 miles. At least that's what I thought I read on the back of a gallon. I could be wrong tho.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Most of the time it's machine specific on changes and testing. I'll double check today... Hour wise it's a really long time...2000 hours+ in most cases

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Everytime we drain ours out of the C-15s if it looks clean it goes back in LOL never a test done on it

Latest posts

Members online