refinish options on 8 spoke 20s

Coposrv

Reaction score
I really want to refinish my 5 spoke 20's. I like some after market rims but not as much as my simple 5 spokes.

mandkole

Reaction score
I called a local shop that refinishes wheels yesterday-- they wanted $225/wheel to strip, polish and coat. They said that the factory clear is a bitch.. my experience is not unusual.

The oven cleaner didn't even touch the clear. Left it on for 5 hours.

I'll keep working on them...

mandkole

Reaction score
The brown truck came with shiny things.. Still have two to finish though

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101

Jason

Reaction score
Ten fo. What did those set you back if you don't mind my asking? I have lugcentric now, and while it doesn't really bother me, I would like to swap to lug/hubcentric for piece of mind.

mandkole

Reaction score
A little less than $400 shipped-- I always felt their published price was fair to begin with, but the holiday deal was -20%.. They are very nice pieces and fit perfect.

mandkole

Reaction score
I put a couple on yesterday to test fit the tire size and gave the truck a bath... Im glad that I decided to polish them and seeing them on the truck makes the effort worth it. I really like the slightly larger tire as the 285/75s now look small. I think I'll go with the 295/60 which is right at 34" , has full weight rating, and the extra width will come right to the edge of the flare.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
  • ft wheel.jpg
    ft wheel.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 105

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Did you ever finish these? Looks great! I remember stripping the clear off my buddy's stock lariat wheels on his 99. Definitely took some time but worth it in my opinion.

I agree that those 8 spoke 20' factory wheels look really good on the 99-07 trucks. I have a hard time finding an aftermarket wheel that I actually like. Hence why I still have 16x10 pro comps. I might have to look into this option a little more.

slightlymodded

Reaction score
I put a couple on yesterday to test fit the tire size and gave the truck a bath... Im glad that I decided to polish them and seeing them on the truck makes the effort worth it. I really like the slightly larger tire as the 285/75s now look small. I think I'll go with the 295/60 which is right at 34" , has full weight rating, and the extra width will come right to the edge of the flare.

Damn those rims look 10x better with a polish! Gonna have to get me a set for my dads 99. Your truck looks good!

smcox1

Reaction score
If you get the spray-able premium stripper from home depot in the gallon jugs it works wonders. Spray a heavy coat then in 15 minutes spray it again let it sit for another 15 minutes and wash it off with a hose shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to do all the rims if you use a weed sprayer to spray the stripper. I haven't done this on rims but I did use it to strip clear and paint off a 35' aluminum horse trailer.

mandkole

Reaction score
Did you ever finish these? Looks great! I remember stripping the clear off my buddy's stock lariat wheels on his 99. Definitely took some time but worth it in my opinion.

I agree that those 8 spoke 20' factory wheels look really good on the 99-07 trucks. I have a hard time finding an aftermarket wheel that I actually like. Hence why I still have 16x10 pro comps. I might have to look into this option a little more.

Yes, they've been done for about 2 weeks... the last wheel was a bastard for some reason. The deal with stripper is that is gets the wheel about 98% clean and that's it. There are these little nibs of clear stuck to the wheel and only sanding get it off.

Now just trying to find the right deal on a tire and need new center caps. Im taking my time because I can get a lot of use from the right set that's 70-80% (driven 4000 mi/yr) and want to buy them for nothing... When the tires are mounted, I'll post up again.

mandkole

Reaction score
Damn those rims look 10x better with a polish! Gonna have to get me a set for my dads 99. Your truck looks good!

its funny, the day I took that pic, it had been real cold the previous days and it was warm outside so the cold wheels never got warm and the condensation would not come off. It was pissing me off because I could never get the pic real good--dry the wheel and it would come back like fog.

These things shine like AFs... Im not gonna clear them at this point, they look too cool.

mandkole

Reaction score
We're done.. In fact the new center caps arrived today as well!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    918.2 KB · Views: 82

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.