Regulated return question

chris89

Reaction score
Is anyone using the boost port on the regulator to raise the fuel pressure. Or just leaving it open. My buddy bought the RR kit from DI and said it didnt say anything about it.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
when your where we are, already at about 62ish psi, it does no good. set it and forget it.

charles had some dyno time he used, and that was one of the things he checked. if a boost reference made any sort of a difference. it made all of zero difference.

if your dropping supply pressure, that you need to increase pressure to keep up with things, you need a better fuel pump/supply system.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i dont know the actual numbers, so bear with me.

the cummins, for instance, with their mechanical pump, only needs, we'll say 15 psi at low rpm/low demand.

but at high demand/high rpm that 15 psi is not enough to keep the pump full. so if you boost reference it to up pressure "when your on it", the pump stays full and you get all the hp available.

on theirs, you can watch supply pressure fall off. in their instance, you dont need more volume out of the pump, you just need to up the pressure. when their stockish, i suppose i should add.

in our instance, we have the pressure already. when our supply pressure falls off, we need more volume.

09stroker

Reaction score
i dont know the actual numbers, so bear with me.

the cummins, for instance, with their mechanical pump, only needs, we'll say 15 psi at low rpm/low demand.

but at high demand/high rpm that 15 psi is not enough to keep the pump full. so if you boost reference it to up pressure "when your on it", the pump stays full and you get all the hp available.

on theirs, you can watch supply pressure fall off. in their instance, you dont need more volume out of the pump, you just need to up the pressure. when their stockish, i suppose i should add.

in our instance, we have the pressure already. when our supply pressure falls off, we need more volume.

If they are dropping pressure its not from the regulator, the reg will completely close and return no fuel if it has to to maintain its set pressure.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
except if you have a high volume pump, set at a low pressure, in which case, raising the pressure will increase supply.

i might have worded that wrong, i just know it works.

friends truck cannot maintain at 14 psi. up the pressure to 27, only change, and it holds it all day long.

word that how you will.

Beanhead

Reaction score
Is anyone using the boost port on the regulator to raise the fuel pressure. Or just leaving it open. My buddy bought the RR kit from DI and said it didnt say anything about it.

If the diaphragm blows out in the regulator,the engine could go to WOT.Then you have a run away on RPM's.

Arisley

Reaction score
If the diaphragm blows out in the regulator,the engine could go to WOT.Then you have a run away on RPM's.

You sure about that?

Seems to me if the diaphram broke, It would never get a reference signal to go to high pressure. Even if the pressure did raise, it would just go to a higher pressure. High pressure doesn't mean runaway. If that was so, if you adjusted the pressure too high, the motor would go into runaway.

I might be missing something, that is why I am asking.

09stroker

Reaction score
If it broke fuel would leak into your intake through the reference line.

Most boost reference regulators you just set the normal standby pressure (which is what we do) so the reg only increases pressure when there is boost applied. Most in a 1:1 ratio.

This is for boosted gas motors where their injectors (low pressure) have to overcome boost in the manifold to have the same fuel pressure.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.