Relating injector sizing and fuel system upgrades

glass3222

Reaction score
Ok, I have been researching for possible future upgrades and haven't been able to find any definitive answers or general guidance to this question.

Assuming everything in the truck and fuel system is in good working order, what size injector and nozzle combination can be run with:

1. Entirely stock fuel system?
2. Stock with blue spring upgrade?
3. Upgraded pump (6.4/6.7/FASS/AD) with stock fuel bowl?
4. Upgraded pump and "regulated return"?

Not really interested in the point where upgrading HPOP comes into play, but for reference people can provide input if you want.

So lets here your thoughts and experiences.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
My fuel pressure dropped on stock injectors, stock pump, blue spring on idp xtreme street. It would drop to 20 or so getting on the highway. Had about 40k on the pump and blue spring and i was religious about filter changes. I would do the primary every 10k, and both every 20k, as i had a bunch of primary filters from pump changes.

How old is your pump? If its newish, i would say put a regulated return on, and retry it while checking pressure. From what i have read/heard the issue is with the regulator, not so much the pump. Changing to an aftermarket pump that flows more will help with pressure drop to a point, as it will be able to flow enough.to keep pressure up.

With my air dog and blue spring, pressure was 65ish at idle, would bounce around.some due to the regulator, and would typically drop to 55ish, but sometimes all the way down to 45. Again, this was based on how the regulator was feeling that day.

I put the driven regulated return on, and pressure is solid at 65 at all times, and i bumped injector size from 190 to 205 when i putthe return on.

Hope yhat helps some.

Outlaw7317

Reaction score
My fuel pressure dropped on stock injectors, stock pump, blue spring on idp xtreme street. It would drop to 20 or so getting on the highway. Had about 40k on the pump and blue spring and i was religious about filter changes. I would do the primary every 10k, and both every 20k, as i had a bunch of primary filters from pump changes.

How old is your pump? If its newish, i would say put a regulated return on, and retry it while checking pressure. From what i have read/heard the issue is with the regulator, not so much the pump. Changing to an aftermarket pump that flows more will help with pressure drop to a point, as it will be able to flow enough.to keep pressure up.

With my air dog and blue spring, pressure was 65ish at idle, would bounce around.some due to the regulator, and would typically drop to 55ish, but sometimes all the way down to 45. Again, this was based on how the regulator was feeling that day.

I put the driven regulated return on, and pressure is solid at 65 at all times, and i bumped injector size from 190 to 205 when i putthe return on.

Hope yhat helps some.

Good info there.
So it sounds like a "full" system is almost necessary to hold the required pressure.

Does anyone have experience with a regulated return, and stock everything else? What were the pressure readings?

Ford460power

Reaction score
Stock injectors and stock pump with a blue spring wouldn't hold crap for psi. Added the airdog 150 and it's helped a ton, holds a pretty solid 60 but at times it will dip lower, the stock regulator seems to be the weak point in the system. I'll be upgrading to a regulated return system very seen.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Good info there.
So it sounds like a "full" system is almost necessary to hold the required pressure.

Does anyone have experience with a regulated return, and stock everything else? What were the pressure readings?

I would try the return first, as it seems the regulator is the issuemoreso than the pump. Also, seeing as they are about the same price, youwould have the piece of mind of knowing the pump is factoru,and if it does take a dump, you can get one at any ford dealer, most likely same day. I have been reading a bunch aboit both fass and air dofg pumps dying quite often.

Strictlydiesel makes a really nice regulated return setup. Put a sinister one on a buddys truck and it fit like chit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.