Relieving the fuel bowl edge and compression

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Just about anything will work on an aluminum piston in the lathe. IIRC mine were radiused with the edge of a file and then polished up for a second with a piece of sandpaper.

Hell, I think a pocket knife would suffice.

If i understood correctly he was concerned with doing his mods in-hand, fletcher, scuffer tip, baloon tip would be my choices. If you can't do those just use a piece of sand paper and a finger. A hard cartridge roll on a stationary piston could get bumpy unless you've had mucho exp with a high rpm grinder. But wtf do I know. LOL

Charles

Reaction score
LOL you're spoiled! I bored my 1st engine on a piece of plywood over a dirt floor with a 3/8drive drill, wd40 and a deglazing hone. :doh:

Yeah, well back in 49 there weren't 4 jaw lathes on every street corner either.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Yeah, well back in 49 there weren't 4 jaw lathes on every street corner either.

49? :mad: YOU BASTAGE!!!!!

I was assembling a 413 sbc the night b4 a race years back when i broke a comp ring using a cheap ring compressor. Needless to say its damn hard to find a replacement on that short a notice so i swipped a used cast ring off a std bore stock 454 piston, hit it with the air grinder till it had .050 gap (silvolite pistons) and won 1st in both my classes the next day. It stayed that way till I sold the complete running truck at the end of the season.

I was a farm kid, we made do. LOL

Arisley

Reaction score
LOL you're spoiled! I bored my 1st engine on a piece of plywood over a dirt floor with a 3/8drive drill, wd40 and a deglazing hone. :doh:

I know that method. Then my Grandad saw me working on it, and introduced me to his WWII Navy Surplus Southbend Machine. That was sweet.

Big Bore

Reaction score
My uncle has told me of replacing rod and crank bearings on the side of the road with a strip of his leather belt, and even bacon in a pinch. The loose tolerances of the early motors were apparently pretty forgiving LOL

Gearhead

Reaction score
My uncle has told me of replacing rod and crank bearings on the side of the road with a strip of his leather belt, and even bacon in a pinch. The loose tolerances of the early motors were apparently pretty forgiving LOL

There was a 454 in my home town that spun a main bearing and ruined the block. The repair was a crank kit and a bacon rind between the bearing and the block.... ran for 40k like that.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

I've had the pleasure of repouring and hand scrapping lead babbit bearings before - anytime the main caps have a shim stack that you remove shims until it is "is snug, but moves free" is a precision piece of equipment!

Arisley

Reaction score
I remember those old motors.

Me and my uncle, coming home from hay hauling, bout fifty miles from home. Motor started knocking. We dropped the pan. Disconnected the rod, shoved the piston all the way to the top. Took the valve cover off and removed the rocker arms for the valves on that piston. Pulled the spark plug out. Put the pan back on and drove a five cylinder back to the house.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.