Reman Alternator

greyford1979

Reaction score
Do the Ford reman alternators suck on these trucks or is it just me? I'm on my second one since early September and possibly have another bad one. I'm currently charging the batteries and will test everything to make sure it's not something else such as faulty connections. Also going to test batteries and for any parasitic draws on the charging system to rule those out.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Do the Ford reman alternators suck on these trucks or is it just me? I'm on my second one since early September and possibly have another bad one. I'm currently charging the batteries and will test everything to make sure it's not something else such as faulty connections. Also going to test batteries and for any parasitic draws on the charging system to rule those out.
its hit or miss once oem chits the bed!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yes. It frikkin sucks. I have duals so i change one at a time. That way if it sets a code you know its the one you just changed.

I plan to go to fancy ones so I know they are good. Or at least less chance for failure. The sucky part about getting them from the local ford dealer is they dont have the tester there.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Yeah if it does end up being the alternator again, I'm gonna go with something else even though it's under warranty. Unfortunately can't do anything with it sitting outside in the pouring rain.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have a local guy who said just bring it to him and for 60 bucks he'll pull it apart and fix whatever the issue is or rebuild it completely. Either way, if its not working from O'Reilly or whatever 60 bucks and you're set for five years. After five you pay whatever the 60 dollars is in future dollars. It was 50 15 years ago so I dont imagine it'll go up much.

He also does starters and ac components.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I took one of my "new" rejects apart from oreillys...oh boy...looked like animal from the muppets soldered it...

greyford1979

Reaction score
It's definitely looking like the alternator is giving up the ghost. Connections are good, but thinking about some new cables since with almost 300,000 miles they aren't in the greatest shape. Batteries held a charge, but are a few years old and I'm sure that last time the alternator went, it wasn't very good for them. Wouldn't want one of them to screw up a new alternator. Replace for piece of mind?

Jomax

Reaction score
I've had good luck with ford remans. Bad luck with Napa ones. Had one go out and only thing open was Autozone on a trip, limped it there on just batteries BARLEY. Bought their best one, and kept the Napa in the toolbox. Still going strong 4 years later LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dangerous1

Reaction score
I just always ran advanced remans. Throw a spare under the back seat in case I wasn't near a store to exchange it. Less then 5 minutes to swap with the battery impact so never bothered me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well I know one thing, it's definitely gotta be the original rotor inside, case and everything else is still nice and shiny, rotor is rusted to hell LOL. And I never paid attention, but holy hell is the bearing a squeaky mofo when you spin the pulley. For good measure I threw my brother's alt on and with everything on it held strong at 14.5-14.7 volts, and it's an older reman than mine. Mine barely held at 12.2 volts. I have a large case on the way, but since this is under warranty I will get another and keep it a s a spare.

greyford1979

Reaction score
That was just sitting in the drive for a few mins, after that it will slightly drop off after that. The other alternator couldn't even keep up with the fuel pump since it went bad. I noticed my fuel pressure gauge just all of a sudden started flickering and the fuel pressure was down from the day before with a load on the truck. Good thing I have the gauge and noticed it, would suck to screw the injectors up as well because of a bad alternator.

Arisley

Reaction score
I have had good luck with O'Reilly's remans First one lasted 40K. Light came on, I looked and saw an O'Reilly's sign. Pulled in the lot, flipped my scan gauge to volts, saw it was low. Popped the hood, pulled the alternator took it in and swapped it out. Took longer to look up the receipt than it did to do the swap. Second one has been in there for about 30 K now,

cbf9703

Reaction score
I have had good luck with O'Reilly's remans First one lasted 40K. Light came on, I looked and saw an O'Reilly's sign. Pulled in the lot, flipped my scan gauge to volts, saw it was low. Popped the hood, pulled the alternator took it in and swapped it out. Took longer to look up the receipt than it did to do the swap. Second one has been in there for about 30 K now,

My issues were with O'Reillys... But that's the thing, once I got a good one it's been on there probably 70k at this point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
Yep, hit and miss, but they honor their warranty. I was so broke one time, I warrantied out a set of brake pads. Worked perfect, just wore out. No issues.

On my truck, I have O'Reilly starter, second one, first lasted 100K, water pump, first lasted 500 miles, second one has 150K on it, Alternator, see above post.

Good part is, in the DFW metroplex, I am almost never more than five miles from an O'Reilly's. I have also been shopping with them since they were Gateway Automotive here. When they look at my purchase history, it goes back to 1988.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Yep, hit and miss, but they honor their warranty. I was so broke one time, I warrantied out a set of brake pads. Worked perfect, just wore out. No issues.

On my truck, I have O'Reilly starter, second one, first lasted 100K, water pump, first lasted 500 miles, second one has 150K on it, Alternator, see above post.

Good part is, in the DFW metroplex, I am almost never more than five miles from an O'Reilly's. I have also been shopping with them since they were Gateway Automotive here. When they look at my purchase history, it goes back to 1988.
Exactly! They've treated me well the last decade. My local store has warrantied things they never should have because they know me. Honestly that's one of the things that really sucks about moving... Starting that process over.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.