repaint question

youngstroker

Reaction score
trying to get an idea on how much it will cost to repaint my truck. i know this question can be impossible to answer but if someone could give me a general idea. i would plan to do an 05 face lift also, i have all the parts to do so, they're just not painted, now pretty much every panel would have to be repainted both sides of the bed have some bubbleing, the bottoms of the doors are starting to rusted, the cab corners need work, both front fenders have a dents, i was wondering how much to do the body work and paint it, i was thinking of doing the same color, white, or my dream would be to paint it a KR copper. the truck is a 2003 f250 super cab short bed.

youngstroker

Reaction score
so if the truck was rust free? or after $7k it will be rust free? it dosn't have to be perfect and it dosn't have to be a high quality paint job.

davey99ps

Reaction score
It'll be more expensive if you want to switch to a different color an have it look right because all the jambs have to be sprayed an everything else. I was quoted anywhere from $1000-$8000 to have my cc/lb painted, an mine was all rust free an straight. Also, when you start looking for painters, ask to see they're previous work an try an talk to some of they're customers.

MINK

Reaction score
Sounds like a big job, 5k would be a steal for all the work it needs along with a color change.

youngstroker

Reaction score
it is almost imposible to answer the question with out looking at the truck, if it is going to cost $6-8k i may almost look in to getting a new truck.

78f100

Reaction score
I am not a pro but took autobody in school and worked at a shop for a while. If you buy decent paint and supplies you will have 1000\2000$ just in material. The clear coat i used on my old 78 was 300$ a gallon. It takes a lot of man hours to do it right.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I'm gonna say 7-8k. Fixing rust is time consuming and honestly, it ***kin sucks. Then wheelwells like to rust out 3 years later, again, anyway. The right thing to do would be to replace the doors, replace the box or reskin it, and then paint it. Doors are about 800/ each iirc.

My advice would be to have them blast the bottoms of the doors if they aren't rusted all the way through,and repaint them. Weld New cab corners in, repaint that area. Reskin your bed with whole, new pieces from Ford and then have them painted. Buff the rest and see where you're at.

Having a body shop remove your bed, remove the outer fender, and then install new ones, prime, prep, and paint them would be over 4k alone.

If you would be willing to remove your own bed. Drill out the spotwelds holding the sheet metal on and then reskin with new fenders you could save thousands. What I'm hinting at is the more disassembly and grunt work the painter does, the more it costs. Take pieces in and have them painted and the reasssemble at home and you're way ahead.

As for the doors the sandblasting and prepping for repaint is cheap enough to let them do it all. An hour.labor for the blasting, then whatever it takes to get from that point to painted.

It's an expensive as hell process but getting your hands dirty can save lots of money.

youngstroker

Reaction score
I'm a mechanic so doing work isn't an issue. i though of going to a body shop and asking for some scrap pannels and trying some stuff my self, practice then maybe doing the work my self. the way i look at it is, it can't look any worse than rust and dents. i know it sounds like a hack but if i could half a$$ it, make it look ok, even if i have to fix it every other year. thats fine.

Zaairman

Reaction score
Being a mechanic and doing bodywork are totally different...

You're going to have over $1000 in patch panels alone. How are your bed supports, they like to rust out too. It's usually easier and cheaper to get a new bed... which is what I did.

jdc753

Reaction score
If the bed is bad just replace it, I think around $1000-$1500 for a brand new take off bed and then its little to no labor, sand it prime it paint it and done. Then all you are left with is doors and cab corners, maybe check front fenders real well especially at the back side of the wheel where the cowl drains to. Other wise $5-8k sounds about right for a good paint job.

SickStroke6.0

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd sell it. You're going to have a ton of money in a truck that isn't worth near as much. Just my opinion, though.

youngstroker

Reaction score
think i will go new bed, fenders, and bumpers and pay to have the cab done. selling it and getting a new one is not an option right now, i already have 2 car payments and my truck is paid off, i guess i can just keep waxing my rust too.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If the bed is bad just replace it, I think around $1000-$1500 for a brand new take off bed and then its little to no labor, sand it prime it paint it and done. Then all you are left with is doors and cab corners, maybe check front fenders real well especially at the back side of the wheel where the cowl drains to. Other wise $5-8k sounds about right for a good paint job.

If you would find beds for that much, you'd be rich. Especially after you sold them for 3-4 like everyone else is. I find takeoff shortbeds for over 3k all day long. That's with no tailgate also.

jdc753

Reaction score
If you would find beds for that much, you'd be rich. Especially after you sold them for 3-4 like everyone else is. I find takeoff shortbeds for over 3k all day long. That's with no tailgate also.

I really haven't shopped for them lately but there are several upfitters around who always have them in stock, but here are 2 Craigslist adds I pulled up while sitting at the bar.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/ptd/3399641162.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/ptd/3405075618.html

Not the pricing I said above but definitely not $3-4k although I would expect shortness to be more money due to supply of them being rarer than long beds in the "new take off" world of work trucks.

For example I went last summer to grab a rear bumper and picked up a brand new 2011 painted bumper for $125 out the door.

Latest posts

Members online