Repeated copper washer failure.

Twinboys

Reaction score
Nearly a year ago, I was experiencing low power and fuel smoke and diagnosed a leaking injector o-ring. Since the 03 was new to me with 260k miles and a family road trip in the near future, I replaced all 8 injectors. A couple other injectors I pulled were burnt on the bottom, so I did some research, bought the tool, and followed advice to replace all 8 injector cups at the same time. I had two failures after that in 5 and 7 and the bottom of the cups had three radial cracks and the bottom blown out. I assumed it was because I wasn't able to fully seat those two cups with the heater box In the way. I removed the box and made sure the new cups were driven in fully. Since then, I have had several other cups go bad the same way, so I made sure to hammer the new cups down fully. Then I got a couple copper washer failures without blown cups. The next time, I removed and inspected all 8 injectors and inspected all 8 cups (all good), and, as always, reinstalled with new seal kits (O-rings and copper washer). I bought 8 new hold down clamps and made sure clamp hole threads were clean (as always). I installed them with a new torque wrench and discovered that my old wrench was a little weak. I increased from 24'# to 26'# with the new torque wrench, and thought I finally had the mystery solved. Now another failure, and I have to go rescue the truck from some farmers yard 100 miles away. All of that explanation to finally come to my question: In my effort to make sure the cups are fully seated, am I now damaging the combustion seal surface of the cups? Since it is impossible to hold the tool precisely centered when pounding, after making contact with the bottom, I kind of push the tool up the opposite way of gravity, and give a few extra raps to make sure the bottom is tight all the way around. I watched the video of the guy demonstrating the tool and he just haphazardly hammers away. I figured that was just to show how simple and idiot proof it was and to entice me to buy the tool. Thoughts?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Is the recess in the head where the cup seats COMPLETELY clean?

04stroker

Reaction score
I had the same issue a couple times a few years ago but mainly with larger injectors. I increased torque to 31 ft-lbs and did not have another issue. Since then I torque all injectors to 31, might be frowned upon by some but it has worked great for me.

Twinboys

Reaction score
Pulled all 8 injectors and re-torqued to 31'#. found all O-rings good, and cracked injector tip on the seventh one I pulled. got to nearby town before they closed on Friday and they had an injector. 8 hours in the farmer's field on the way to deer camp, and back on the road. Thanks for your help!

colonel angus

Reaction score
I've had a repeat failure on #5 twice now. This last one I caught before it totally hydro locked and got it home. I've never replaced a cup, but was about to but instead ensured everything was super clean and blown out hold down holes. New hold downs and a complete new set of ford reman's built by jesse to 175/30's. Torqued everything thing down to 32 - 34 and it's driving better than ever has.

Both times the copper washer was cracked in the bottom of the cup and the lower cup only on #5 was charred along with the injector below the o-ring.

Hope yours is fixed as well as mine because it's not an easy job much less redone every 20K.
denny

Latest posts