Replace wheel in stock turbo or new setup?

black'n'blue

Reaction score
It's a howling noise coming from the rear of the engine bay at around 1700-3000 rpms. Like I said, I know how the turbo normally sounds with the standard "whistling" but this is in addition to it and it's more of a howl

black'n'blue

Reaction score
We own a turbo balancer. For the most part, if you properly balance the compressor wheel and the turbine wheel/shaft independently, the assembly will also be balanced. I and every turbo manufacturer do this on a daily basis. We have the ability to balance wheels, shafts and complete center section assemblies in house.

The funny thing is that many "manufacturers" don't even have a balancer in house and tout the importance of assembly balancing as sales of wheels aren't good for the turbo sales business.

Bob
What I got from this vid is it's an easy diy

Wicked Wheel on Performance TV: http://youtu.be/xJIjewOvf84

uneedbio

Reaction score
to Black N blue Do you have a Powermax turbo . Is the sound happening at cruising speed like 70 to 75. if so take the ficm back to stock and see if it goes away. i have that weird noise and mind was the ficm good luck on any one of the turners to fix it i been try for a month now.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I have the stock turbo that came on the truck which I believe is in fact a Garrett. The noise is audible around 1700 rpms (give or take) and up, regardless the speed. As for me returning the Ficm to stock, I had it tuned at innovative, so it's set to the 40 hp tune. I will call innovative today and see what they tell me and will post up info.

Last edited:

ford rules

Reaction score
I installed a WW2 and i was happy with it, truck felt a little stronger on the low end. For the money i was satisfied. It dosent need to be balanced with the new wheel on either.

Its a left hand thread also btw

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I'll be getting the 2.0 upgrade from kc turbo's. I spoke to Charlie the other night and he told me he'd balance a new shaft/turbine/comp combo, mark it, and send me everything to do the install. It's a great deal for the money. He'll do everything in his power to supply you with premium parts at a Great Price. I can't wait to do this

KCTurbos

Reaction score
changing wheels without balancing is never a good plan. have a look at the stage 1 or 1.5 from barder.

one of our stock injector trucks runs the stage 1 and it is perfect for just a tuned truck. good spool, good mileage, good sound and cheap to boot!

soooo if you put new tires on your truck as long as they were the same size as stock you don't need to balance them? riiiight.

What does the size of the compressor wheel have to do with the assembly being balanced? Fill us all in please!

Well I cant tell if you guys were really curious or just trying to pick on someone... but it does not sound like you understand the concept of balancing, component balancing, assembly balancing, or how larger items can cause bigger issues faster when out of balance.

First off there have been 1000s if not millions of billet wheels sold over the years. Many of them are stock replacements. Most of the billet wheels sold are "balanced". I have also never heard of any failures caused by just bolting on a billet wheel. In fact adding a billet wheel to your stock turbo could help to balance it even more (NOT TO GET IT OUT OF BALANCE). Most of the big "box turbos" have very relaxed balancing practices. Some allow 4-7 points out of balance. There is no downside to bolting on a billet wheel. As long as you bought it from a reputable shop/manufacturer that had it balanced. (which I believe everyone does).

Saying that adding a billet wheel to a stock turbo is never a good idea is like saying that buying a box borg warner turbo is never a good idea... Most billet wheels that I buy and install are more in balance than any box borg warner turbo (but not limited to borg warner)

Your reference to truck tires make no sense... to relate it to a turbo you would have to understand that someone already mounted the tire on the rim, balanced it way better than any tire shop ever could and then shipped it to you balanced and you simply bolted it on your truck. That is called component balancing which is perfectly acceptable AND what most of big turbo manufactures do. All billet wheels that I have ever bought were already balanced... and you don't have to worry about tread depth, bubbles, un even tire wear etc...

So what is "assembly balancing". As long as we are using car tires as a reference point it would be like pulling the axle out of the truck with the tires installed on it then spinning them both at the same time. Then you would balance the whole assembly. With a turbo that would be the oil slinger, turbine, and compressor wheel. This is an awesome practice and definitely helps with longevity. VSR is a whole different concept but even "better".

Size makes a big difference. Ever try to balance a huge mud terrain tire vs a little tiny honda civic tire. Especially when it comes to "assembly balancing". Bigger items take more to balance because there is more mass spinning and you might have to take off even more material especially when paired to another item that used to be similar in size but are now totally different. Once you start over sizing everything on our turbos and trying to make the most power possible with WAY larger than stock components then you are much more likely to have issues.

I hope that helps to clear up any confusion

sootie

Reaction score
i guess i'm one of the few that had a turbo eat itself in 2500 miles that coincidentally had a billet wheel installed and not balanced?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
i guess i'm one of the few that had a turbo eat itself in 2500 miles that coincidentally had a billet wheel installed and not balanced?

It is very possible that your turbo was about to go anyways... or it was installed wrong, or you bought and unbalanced wheel.

But it is VERY unlikely that you installed a balanced billet wheel and it caused your turbo to fail.

Either you did not understand what was posted about balancing or you somehow managed to buy an "unbalanced wheel". If you bought an unbalanced wheel then please tell us where you bought the wheel so other people can steer clear.

Every billet wheel we sell (and most other shops I know) only sell balanced wheels. You seem to keep implying that these wheels are not balanced. No need to spread misinformation on the forums. Thanks

sootie

Reaction score
It is very possible that your turbo was about to go anyways... or it was installed wrong, or you bought and unbalanced wheel.

But it is VERY unlikely that you installed a balanced billet wheel and it caused your turbo to fail.

Either you did not understand what was posted about balancing or you somehow managed to buy an "unbalanced wheel". If you bought an unbalanced wheel then please tell us where you bought the wheel so other people can steer clear.

Every billet wheel we sell (and most other shops I know) only sell balanced wheels. You seem to keep implying that these wheels are not balanced. No need to spread misinformation on the forums. Thanks

it was a batmowheel-no idea if they are balanced or not.

also-the premium vendor on this site that sold it to me installed, has since started balancing every turbo that they change wheels in, due to failures like mine.

its likely that you know faaar more than me about balancing however; you cannot go wrong with assembly balancing. A balanced wheel is all good and well but if the stock turbo was assembly balanced and the exhaust side is not 100%, you could have issues.

oh and btw-dont accuse me of spreading misinformation on the forums-i speak about fact that i have experienced first hand. while we are on the topic of misinformation-dont make me dig up some of your posts on head studs...

i have nothing against you but just because your name is blue, doesn't mean everything you type is gospel.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
There is a difference between posting turbo theory/head stud theory... and posting mis-information, steering people away from products, and mocking someone that seems to know more on the subject than you. You guys all jumped on this thread implying and posting things towards Mr Merc... when he seemed to be much more knowledgeable on the subject that others posting.

I agree that assembly balancing is optimal. No turbo goes through my doors without getting assembly balanced... But saying that putting on a billet wheel is never a good idea... well that is posting mis-information from someone that has very little knowledge on the subject. And then to jump on and mock the guy who was posting good/helpful/truthful information... :fustrate:

sootie

Reaction score
There is a difference between posting turbo theory/head stud theory... and posting mis-information, steering people away from products, and mocking someone that seems to know more on the subject than you. You guys all jumped on this thread implying and posting things towards Mr Merc... when he seemed to be much more knowledgeable on the subject that others posting.

I agree that assembly balancing is optimal. No turbo goes through my doors without getting assembly balanced... But saying that putting on a billet wheel is never a good idea... well that is posting mis-information from someone that has very little knowledge on the subject. And then to jump on and mock the guy who was posting good/helpful/truthful information... :fustrate:

so i guess i'm supposed to keep my mouth shut about my real life experiences but you can spew whatever you like about reinventing the wheel when it comes to headstuds under the guise of "theory". i get it.

using analogies can be used to draw out reasoning or provoke more in depth clarification...sorry you took it as "mocking", i'll try and culture my posts to be more conducive to softies.

the funny part is... that you actually agree with me :doh:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
so i guess i'm supposed to keep my mouth shut about my real life experiences but you can spew whatever you like about reinventing the wheel when it comes to headstuds under the guise of "theory". i get it.

using analogies can be used to draw out reasoning or provoke more in depth clarification...sorry you took it as "mocking", i'll try and culture my posts to be more conducive to softies.

the funny part is... that you actually agree with me :doh:

PM Sent... Done Derailing

Latest posts

Members online