Reseal Oil Pan tips?

dthompson

Reaction score
Any tips on getting the oil pan to seal? Obviously I'm gonna clean everything really good. Using grey death silicone. Planning to leave upside down overnight. I've heard to let the silicone set up before torqued down? Yea/nah? Thanks in advance...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
apply like you would regular ole rtv you dont let it set up but can let it get tacky like you would rtv. torque it down and personaly i would let it set a couple dayz before its turned right side up...

live life full throttle

psduser1

Reaction score
If it's a clean surface, and stays 60-65*, twenty-four hours should be enough time for it to set. If you have time two days wouldn't hurt. I would recommend a slightly heavier bead on the corners where the covers meet the block.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
IIRC the bead is 6mm on front and back and 3mm on the sides.

Zaairman

Reaction score
I just did mine last night. Cleaned off all the old gasket using brake cleaner and degreaser. Put a good bead all the way around it, it was obvious that they were pretty heavy on the stuff from the factory. Put the pan on right away, put bolts in, and started slowly tightening it down in increments, to finally torquing at 18 ftlbs It will sit for 2 days before it gets turned over. Not cause I'm wanting to, but because I didn't have time to get to it today.

rode0_man

Reaction score
just my 2 cents, but if I could do mine over I would give that dang dipstick tube adapter about a 1/2 inch bead of that grey silicone also, inside and out.

co04cobra

Reaction score
just my 2 cents, but if I could do mine over I would give that dang dipstick tube adapter about a 1/2 inch bead of that grey silicone also, inside and out.

I do all of them that way very good idea IMO.

Zaairman

Reaction score

I thought about that AFTER I put my pan on. The motor is still upside down, I might loosen the adapter and smear some silicone on it while I still have a chance.

JD3020

Reaction score
Like said be sure to put it extra heavy on the ends. I was worried about putting too much on when i had my engine tore down 2 years ago. needless to say it leaked oil out of the back of the pan ever since. When i had my trans out last month i spent an hour cleaning off all around the mating surface and covered that bitch in IH RTV. No more leak!

I didn't do the adapter inside the pan, but i covered the outside of the pan. No leak so far.

Latest posts

Members online