rotor removal

rpm-inc

Reaction score
Thought I would do a quick brake job (new rotors and calipers) on my 95 f250 4x4. Didn't know what was involved.... It has warn manual hubs. I got part of the hub apart. Anybody have a link, pics, info??? Thanks.

Tom S

Reaction score
You have to press the studs out of the hub to remove the rotors. The nut that holds the wheel bearings in place is visible once you get all the hub apart.

rpm-inc

Reaction score
Here is where I am.
2012-06-12064926.jpg

How does the rest of this thing come apart. I know I need the special socket which i have yet to get..

rpm-inc

Reaction score
Is the piece with the arrow supposed to slide off the end of the axle? It stops where the snap ring used to be. I think there is another large snap ring behind this?

Untitled-3.jpg

rpm-inc

Reaction score
Yep. Must have been a burr or something. I got it off and rotor separated. There is a snap ring that was in there loose, looks like it might be broke. Not even sure where it goes.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of that snap ring. Those front ends are generally all the same, but have with minor differences throughout the years.

rpm-inc

Reaction score
This is the snap ring that was loose. I am guessing both ends are supposed to look the same.
2012-06-12112839.jpg

New rotor attached.

2012-06-12112908.jpg

Other parts.
2012-06-12112849.jpg

Now that I half ass know what I am doing, I think I am going to have to take the other side apart to see how it goes back together.

907DAVE

Reaction score
That is the one that holds the locking hub in place. Did it not fit tight into the hub?

rpm-inc

Reaction score
Yeah, figured it out looking at the other side. It was the same way. It holds the piece I couldn't get off into the aluminum part of the hub. Both sides the aluminum part came out, but the part that slides over the axle stayed on because that clip was out. And both sides have the end of the axle all boogered up so it wasn't easy getting that part off the axle. So now with the hub back together, I can't get it over the end of the axle. I could probably tap it over, but afraid that clip is going to come out just like it was. So I guess I have to take it all apart again and try to clean it up with a file or something.

rpm-inc

Reaction score
Oh and how do I torque those spindle nuts? For the inner I spun the rotor and torqued to 50 and then backed it off 90 degrees. Then put that washer thing on over the pin and the other nut I just made pretty darn tight.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Basically inner nut gets tightened up juuust enough to take the free play out of the bearings, and the outer pretty darn tight.

You could clean those splines up a bit, it just needs to hold that snap ring in place. Of course replacing the stub axle is the best solution. In the future leave the hub in one piece, remove outer and inner snap rings and thread a hub screw into the hub to pull it out as a unit.

I hope that makes sense.

rpm-inc

Reaction score
That's just it. I didn't take the hub apart. That clip that was loose goes on the backside of the hub. I think it came apart when somebody installed the hub over the damaged splines on the end. They would have had to hit it on.

samoht517

Reaction score
The big aluminum piece should have a screw on the back of it holding the smaller piece that got stuck on the axle. That way it all pulls out together. The big clip looks like the one to hold it all in. Some have that some have a big spring like one.

But like Dave said it might be time for hubs that are for sure good. And to fix the axle I'd try and find a little triangle file.

misspelled from a fancy phone

rpm-inc

Reaction score
The big aluminum piece should have a screw on the back of it holding the smaller piece that got stuck on the axle. That way it all pulls out together. The big clip looks like the one to hold it all in. Some have that some have a big spring like one.

But like Dave said it might be time for hubs that are for sure good. And to fix the axle I'd try and find a little triangle file.

misspelled from a fancy phone

Not on these warn hubs. There is a screw on the front that goes into the aluminum that prevents the spring from popping out when you take the cover off.

This is the back of the hub with the clip back in place.
2012-06-12155637.jpg

It does look like the clip that holds it all in, but that one goes around 2-3 times.
That one was fine and in place.

Yep, about 4 minutes with a triangle file and it slipped right on. The hub looks to be fine. It was from the last guy to put it on and had to hammer it over the end of the axle that caused the clip to pop out.

rpm-inc

Reaction score
Its together! And it's all forked up. Pulsating, pulls to the left, and the left wheel wants to lock up. For the pulsating, I am guessing warped rotors. I tapped the lug through the rotor into the hub, then used a lug nut to pull them tight. Went around evenly. I can check run out. Can they get cut with the hub on to fix if this is the problem?

For the pulling to the left and wanting to lock up....that is the side that was destroyed when I took it apart. I only had this truck for a little while and never checked the brakes. Heard some grinding yesterday, and bought new rotors and pads. The inside of the left rotor was destroyed, outside pad was thin. Passenger side pads were thin on both sides, rotor in decent shape. The driver side caliper looked fine, and I was easily able to push the pistons back in. Caliper bad?

Good news is I can have each side completely apart in probably fifteen minutes now!

Latest posts

Members online