Rotors

4cstr

Reaction score
Ever since we bought the Excursion...we have had front brake issues. When stepping on the brake...the steering wheel will just shake left/right...sometimes severely. You can not hold it still.

I've had the rotors turned...and that seemed to solve the issue temporarily...but it always comes back. I'm going on the assumption that I need new rotors up front...that they have warped for some odd reason.

Has anybody else suffered from this? What was the solution? If it is rotors...what do you recommend and which of the sponsors carry them?

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Its not bad, pulling the rotors, takes more time getting to them. I changed mine in about a half hour. And they do warp occasionaly, perhaps the previous owner tried to slow down a trailer too heavy w/o trailer brakes and they warped. Ive seen them warp many times before.

And sticky calipers doesnt seem to explain to me the shaking part. If one was sticky, it would pull to that side since it would be slowing the wheel down.

4cstr

Reaction score
Yeah...I was thinking the same thing with the calipers...if one was sticking it should pull...not wobble the wheel back and forth.

If I had a steering stabilizer going out...would that cause the wobble during braking? It still looks like the factory unit down there.

SSBC-BRAKES

Reaction score
A worn steering stabilizer would definitely contribute to the steering wobble you are experiencing. Combine a warped rotor with a worn stabilizer and you will have some serious wobble.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
as for the sticking caliper, if its sticking, its not releasing completely.

thus making the pad heat up the rotor, even if you do not have the brakes applied, "the brakes are applied", so to speak.

build enough heat, you just warped rotors.

Latest posts

Members online