rough cold start issue

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
i have an 04 F350 and the past few days it was rough starting for me. i thought i didnt hold the key long enough but this morning it was bad. it was about 8* out and went to start it and i thought it caught but it didnt. didnt cycle the plugs this time and tried again but it just cranked for about 10-15 seconds then it finally caught but it was slow to bring up the rpms. a few weeks ago i would let it sit at work for about 6 hours and go to start it and it would just crank and crank until it finally would start. i was told there was supposed to be some clicking as you wait for the plugs but iv got nothing anymore. im lost on this thing

Gary

Reaction score
i was told there was supposed to be some clicking as you wait for the plugs but iv got nothing anymore

So you use to hear the injectors buzz? And now they don't?
If you have a cold start problem it is most likely your problem is the injectors (stiction). I just put a full set of Motorcraft injectors in a 6.0, it will start right up in <10* and you can put it in gear and drive away.

Atsah

Reaction score
FICM could be weak or you have injector sticktion or both.. If you can't fix it right away, plug it in for three hours, makes a world of difference..

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
My injector buzz was slowly getting weaker and weaker and then the hard starts came. I switched to T6 and used some hot shots secret and it would start right up, then started hard starting again, then both batteries took a **** a few days later. Lol

From my experience, get new batteries (at least 850 CCA) or check yours first and IMO T6 should be used in any diesel that sees temps below 30 degrees.

Truck now starts right up (lumpy idle for first 10 seconds) down to -13 degrees so far.

Plug in when you can but sooner or later youll be relying on finding an outlet and that sux.

Last edited:

dasboot

Reaction score
I had a similar situation last year. Plug the block heater in. If she starts better, than most likely the glow plugs or the GP controller or Both. I had all 8 go bad.

Last edited:

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I can help you out with new injectors if need be!

all of the trucks that we sell we end up putting new injectors in them especially during the winter just because of this issue !

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
What am I looking for when monitoring the ficm? Iv got an sct5015 and can see some things. And I run the factory ford oil. Should I change that? I can test it just gotta know what to look for and what to do

What strategy is the one with the newest updates? I don't think mine has it

Sent from my Pear phone 5 using Tapatalk

Atsah

Reaction score
There is a writeup on here somewhere on how to test the FICM with an ohm meter, it's pretty easy.. I would test it but more than likely your injector spool valves are sticking and need replacing.. A good 5W40 synthetic oil seems to work well in 6.0's..

swinky

Reaction score
Mines doing something similar. To check the ficm you need to pull the degas res, I just unbolted it and pulled it out of the way. You'll see a little cover with 2 t20 torx screws on it, remove those and pull the cover. Get your voltmeter set it on dc, put the black lead on the negative battery post and the red lead on the pin closest to the drivers fender. DONT LET THE LEAD TOUCH THE PIN AND THE FICM CASING AT THE SAME TIME!!! check voltage koeo and cranking. 46-49 is recommended.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
I've run T6, rev-x and all that crap hasn't changed anything. I think my injectors are donezo.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
I'm hoping mine aren't bad. I might have to run to ford and see if I can use the computer. I do remember earlier in the summer that there was a code for injector 3 but no symptoms were ever present. I thought it was from when the HGs were done. Maybe not

Atsah

Reaction score
I'll have to try some rev-ex in it cause it was just changed 500 miles ago

This is the time of year you need everything working properly.. 48V FICM, no spool valve sticktion, good batteries, a good strong GP circuit and a thinner oil than 15W40.. If you have everything above, there is no need for any oil additive, it justs masks the problem and for me it didn't even do that..

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
It runs perfectly smooth. Never gives me an issue. Just starts hard these past few times. It's a little shaky but then again at those temps what isn't

Latest posts

Members online