Rough Cold Start

Reaction score
Some people like Rotella but most don't in a 6.0.. There are better 5W40 synthetic oil's for the 6.0, you may want to try valvoline extreme blue or schaeffer's.. Reading 6.0 oil related threads for the last seven years, not all 6.0's are happy with Rotella oil's.. Just a suggestion for the future..

I agree with this, I just needed an oil change, and couldn't find Extreme Blue anywhere. There are a few Cummins shops in the city that I'm going to get ahold of and see if they can get it. I'll definitely be using it on the next change

Atsah

Reaction score
I agree with this, I just needed an oil change, and couldn't find Extreme Blue anywhere. There are a few Cummins shops in the city that I'm going to get ahold of and see if they can get it. I'll definitely be using it on the next change

Any NAPA's around your area? They sell it..

Pro387p

Reaction score
Hello all....my first post in this forum. I have a 2003 with a 6.0 and have been fighting similiar issues. When temps are below 50 degrees my truck is very sluggish untill engine is up to temp. If temps are in 30's or lower and not plugged in it is very noisey and irratic at first start, may take 15 minutes to warm up and run better, at times has even died when first started. Even plugged in it is still very sluggish until up to operating temp. Truck has MBRP 4" turbo back , workhorse 75 HP chip, Hypertech Tuner, and K&N cold air. Other than that it is all stock with 110,000 miles. Just started this fall.

Thanks!

Atsah

Reaction score
Get rid of the oiled K&N and go back to stock (stock air filter on a 6.0 works perfect) unless your making big power.. The reason I say this is because not only do they not filter well, they will pull the oil into the tube and on the MAF and cause CEL 's and the tuner should go in the same trash can.. SCT in a 6.0 FWIW.. JMO and most other 6.0 owners opinion..

Any 6.0 I have had did not like leaving the driveway until it was warmed up for a few minutes.. My guess is you have injector spool valve sticktion and or a weak FICM. Make sure your batteries are working properly also.. FICM voltage should be 48V not cranking, cranking and key on.. Could also be a glowplug circuit issue but sticktion and FICM problems are more likely..

What oil do you use? 5W40 synthetic will give you the best cold weather results as I'm sure you have allready read in this thread..

Pro387p

Reaction score
I have always used Rotella...but yes have seen the other reply's regarding the oil. Just replaced both batteries also. This diesel stuff is new to me, we drag race a tube chassis camaro, bought the truck almost 2 years ago as a tow rig, but very impressed with the power with what little I have done to it! When it was stock I was very dis-appointed.
Thanks for the responses!!!

Latest posts

Members online