Rough idle, white smoke, no power. need some ideas on what's wrong

besthunter51

Reaction score
I was driving home from the store and my truck started loosing power so I pulled over. Got it towed home it, changed the fuel filter again second one in a month. Now it has a rough idle around 750 rpms, blowing white smoke, smells like unburnt diesel not a sweet smell and it will drive but dont wanna tear it up more.
My truck is a 2002 f250 with 137k miles. Just cant afford to take it to the ford dealership.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Check your map sensor and injector harnesses and make sure they are tight and pushed together. If that doesn't work find a shop that can buzz test the injectors. Also, if the fuel is bad it could mess things up. Did you flush your fuel bowl?

Charles

Reaction score
If there's a hammering sound (which I can't believe you wouldn't mention if so...) then you've definitely hung a nozzle, which would involve not ever running the engine again until it was found and rectified.

White smoke that smells like fuel is fuel in a hot (otherwise good compression) hole. If it were blue then it might be loss of compression. White is untimed fuel in a hot cylinder (when it's fuel and not coolant).

It's also the fastest way to nuke a piston.

besthunter51

Reaction score
My ses light stays on unfortunatly, my programmer got stuck on my computer so its always on. I dont think its making a hammering noise but i could be wrong.

ColtonP

Reaction score
White smoke that smells like fuel is fuel in a hot (otherwise good compression) hole. If it were blue then it might be loss of compression. White is untimed fuel in a hot cylinder (when it's fuel and not coolant).

How would you determine whether or not that your timing is off?

Latest posts

Members online