Rough running, codes etc...

TARM

Reaction score
Little back info. X has been running rough for some time. Not terrible just running rough. My AE wasn't working for a while. I finally sent the module in and they fixed it. So basically I have not run a scanner on the truck since doing the injectors, turbo etc......

Well I finally got around to it today after swapping on the SP1 HPOP.

Got back they typical errors codes for exhaust intake heater etc..

Also glow plug module and a couple glow plugs. But its getting warm now so no big deal there.

Then I got into the troublesome. I will list everything I got including the none issue ones just in case.

General Trouble Codes:

P1690 Wastegate (non-issue)
P1000 ODB Readiness Test Not Completed (non-issue)
P0475 Exhaust (non-issue)
P0541 Intake Heater (non-issue)
P0683 Glow Plug Module Communication Circuit Error (Not thinking related??)
P1316 IDM General Code ***** (I see this I usually think UVC or main wiring harness connection issues)

Cylinder Contribution Test

P0263 Cylinder 1 Circuit Contribution Balance Fault
P0266 Cylinder 2 Circuit Contribution Balance Fault
P0284 Cylinder 8 Circuit Contribution Balance Fault

Buzz Test

(All Injectors could be clearly heard and sounded the same)

P1271 Cylinder #1 High to Low Open
P1274 Cylinder #4 High to Low Open
P1275 Cylinder #5 High to Low Open

Symptoms: Engine runs rough especially at idle.

As part of the HPOP install I also did the following not related to the issue:

Replaced IPR valve with a New Ford manf unit
Replaced ICP Sensor with New Ford manf unit
Has a grey CPS a year old

I have a week long trip I need to take this on that I leave for this weekend.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
I have a stock IDM.

Before I did a HPOP swap I had written the idle issues off as a bad IPR or possibly ICP sensor. But then after about 40 miles with the new HPOP giving it time to shake out any air it still ran rough.

The idle has a bit of a romp so I guess its possible that it could just need a bit more ICP or a tad less PW or SOI. THe issue though after running these tests is the fact I have a stock IDM so I should not be getting a P1316. That has to be either an IDM which was fine before I did the upgrades or I would think something with wiring. What I do not get is how loud all the injectors sound off on the buzz test.

I can not afford to take this thing on my trip with my family and have it go tits up and I certainly do not want to do any damage to the engine itself or the injectors.

Any help you guys can give me that could pin point the issue so I do not have to go digging around would be very helpful. I just do not have much time these next days to spend hanging off the front end digging into the engine.

From the test results I am getting back issues on both banks. That makes me thing its likely not the UVCH as what are the chances both came loose? Or is it? The fact that I was under the VC and installed the injectors does make me wonder though. I never touched the IDM at all. I will see what ICP is at idle as RPMs are bouncing at about 50 rpms spread unevenly. I guess it could be the main harness.

Any ideas??

co04cobra

Reaction score
I have had NOTHING but problems out of trucks with the grey cps. What does the engine harness itself look like at the uvch? I think you would like a upgraded IDM either way. I prefer the swamps unit. Hope it helps. Also, fwiw my truck will fail ccts from time to time and seems to idle and run fine.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
OK I have an extra IDM I picked up to specifically to do a Swamps modded IDM.

The Wiring harness looks great. I pushed on all the main harness connections and specifically its connection to each UVCH. I was hoping not to tear everything apart to get back into the valve covers again to check those individual connections.

If it was not for the P1316 code I honestly would have written this off completely as a tuning tweak issue to fix the idle. But IMO you do not just get a random IDM code for no reason at all.

Damnit, I sure wish my AE had been working when I got it and not had a defect. I would have been able to check all this crap out way back then when I had everything pulled apart and all the time in the world. I need to get this ironed out.

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
The P1316 is because of the IDM storing the codes P1271 Cylinder #1 High to Low Open, P1274 Cylinder #4 High to Low Open, P1275 Cylinder #5 High to Low Open. That's what the code means is that the IDM has stored codes.

TARM

Reaction score
So was it storing those codes even before I ran the contribution test?

I guess I never really thought about where the test programing was stored. Whether the AE and other such devices only initiate the tests or actually have the code and perform the test itself.

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
I use a SnapOn scanner and if I only pull memory codes it will only show P1316, however if I run a Buzz or KOEO test it will display the Injector codes. Basically the 1316 is the PCM's code that the IDM had a fault, in order to retrieve the codes a KOEO, KOER, or Buzz test is needed.

How many miles on the injectors? I actually recently had an issue and was getting High to Low opens, but no driveability issues, and I discovered the Torx screws under the solenoids that attach the armature plate had loosened slightly. After properly clocking the poppets and tightening them up again, I no longer was getting High to Low opens. Odd failure really but that was something mechanical causing an electrical fault detection.

TARM

Reaction score
These are brand new. Likely not even 1K miles on them yet. It sat most all of the winter since I did all the upgrades.

So is the collective that these codes are just some how ghost codes and that a tweak of the tune specs at idle will take care of the issues?

It really had my head spinning when I ran the buzz test and each injector buzzed nice and loud with the only sound difference being as it went from one bank to the other. But then I end up with high to low opens on injectors from different banks.

With this trip I really need this thing to be running right.

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
I like no codes, personally, are you getting an service engine soon light? Cleared these codes and they still come back? I don't personally believe in "ghost" codes, something is causing the IDM to believe there is a problem, but I have never ran an injector that larger either.

TARM

Reaction score
No these are tripping hard codes but honestly the size of the injector should have nothing to do with this. There is nothing about these injectors any different that a standard 225-250cc/80-100% hybrid.

I am with you I think there is something wrong and I am going to be very uneasy and stressed driving my whole family 7hrs to Pigeon Forge Tenn from Winchester VA and staying a week without it being somehow addressed.

Maybe someone like Dave from Swamps, Charles, Beans, Old Short bus, etc some guys that have seen tons of most likely every type of issue may pop in and see this and give some help. I am OK with upgrades a dn stuff like that but just do not have the years and years of experience and hundreds if not thousands of engines some of these guys have seen. But if anyone has an idea I am all ears.

TARM

Reaction score
No I did not. I actually missed where you posted it when I read it. Now I see it. I will look into it. I am getting ready to read it; would that be able to explain codes from both banks?

TARM

Reaction score
I will do that. I can tell you that the bulletin ( I just finished reading it) you posted should be stickied somewhere in the tech section so people can reference to it. With as often as there are issue with the various wiring harnesses with clips being left off etc having a clear how to for what to check and how can be very helpful. Thanks for posting that.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Have you ohm'd out the injector circuits in question?

You can do a quick check at the UVCH connectors, but doing it from the IDM connector will tell the whole story.

Let me know if you need any diagrams or connector views.

TARM

Reaction score
Thanks Dave I appreciate it. I plan to do it tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes or if I have issues. Glad you posted. Wasn't sure if you were still on here much. Waiting to hear back from Tim as well. He should be back in your parts soon I think.

PSDEng

Reaction score
Do you happen to know the compression numbers on the truck? I was having similar problems awhile ago and Dave at Swamp's told me that once flow rate on an injector is increased cct tests should be taken with a grain of salt. After all you're running a cylinder contribution test, not injector balance tests, so if your cylinders vary greatly by compression, this might be causing the problem. Just an idea though.

Also, I'm assuming your convertor is fine as I see you have a BTS, but crappy convertors in autos have been known to cause cct problems....but that is much less likely. (Also information I picked up from Dave.)

Latest posts

Members online