rough running

dirtflinger92

Reaction score
My truck randomly runs rough idle jumps up and down if I am going down the road it jerks and shakes the whole truck if I get into the accelerator it clears out then when I let out it does the same thing also it just rained here about an inch the two times it has done it is after it rains hard but again randomly does this

slowstroke

Reaction score
could be the CPS.. have you tried replacing it?

or could be your UVC harness

have you ran a scanner on your truck?

JLDickmon

Reaction score
most 7.3 runability problems come back to one of two things..
UVCH connections
ICP sensor or connector

very infrequently does the CPS result as the culprit.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
they're both fairly easy..
UVCH's, just pop the valve covers off and look for loose or broken connectors.
There's a kit available to reinforce the terminals at the injectors, and the wiring harness is available with and without the valve cover gaskets.

ICP is even easier.. on the left head, in the front, on top, there is a sensor with some wires going to it. Pop the connector off, and it it's full of oil, the ICP sensor is leaking and requires replacement.

dirtflinger92

Reaction score
Well today everytime i start it up it it idles rough rpms fluctuating it is fine when driving then i get home and it starts loping i unplugged the icp the rpms drop to like 500 and the idle gets better not perfect but better

dirtflinger92

Reaction score
Well this morning it did it again ran rough as hell unplugged the icp threw cel and wouldn't accelerate for a min and loping like crazy I don't understand why it does this randomly

dirtflinger92

Reaction score
Again asking as I'm half on the throttle it runs fine any less then that and it starts jerking the whole truck and Tom's flucuate

TARM

Reaction score
Not sure what you are wanting here. You are not using a scanner to see what and if there are any soft codes. TO work on these trucks its basically mandatory unless you are going to just throw parts at it with guesses. Not saying there are gonna be any either but you will not know until you check. With a scanner you can data log things like your ICP IPR % voltages RPMs etc.. It helps more than you can imagine. Diesel are not cheap to work on or the parts when they need replacing. There are few things that from symptoms alone will get you a definitive answer with things such as these. Its can be hard enough even with codes helping. ALL of these symptoms point to the same basic areas electronic and HPOP oil related. Basically your injection system.

Unless you are going to get a scanner and get specifics you are going to have to start throwing parts at it. No amount of reporting its running rough or etc this or that is gonna change what has already been said for this kind of issue. Find someone with a scanner or see if one of the auto stores that do it for free has one that reads the codes. My Pepboys was able to read them. That is all free at most of them so it does not hurt to try. If you plan to keep working on your truck then you are going to need to pony up and buy a quality scanner. The best overall IMO is the Auto Enginuity. It runs on your lap top and does all kinds of tests and programing and logging. You can run it while driving and keep track of anything the PCM gets data points on from sensors.

Do you have a multimeter? If so you can pull the main harness from each UVH and check the pin outs to each injector. Better yet pull the driver side wheel and well cover and unplug the IDM connectors. With everything else plugged in you can OHM out the entire wiring from the IDM to the injectors. If that turns out good then you can rule that out and not pull your VC and possibly loosen a connection yourself in the process. Here is the sheet with spec and how to do it: http://www.gbreman.com/techbulletin_103.html

Beyond that you are just going to have to throw parts at it.

Start with the ICP as that is cheapest and do yourself a favor and buy a Ford Motorcraft one not some china knock off crap as you will really be screwed up if you get a bad one and no longer think it could be the issue. This happens ALOT. Yes it costs WAY more but its worth it. Same goes for the IPR.

Maybe start by pulling the VC, checking the connections and wires themselves for burn thru. Also look where the wiring harness touches the VC themselves. They get shorts there very often as well.

Have you checked the IPR valve to make sure the nut on the end of it is still on and tight. If that is loose it will cause idling and low rpm issues.

Maybe find a friend that has a 7.3 and will allow you to swap sensors just to see which one fixes it.

Honestly this is why guys that work on their trucks usually have a known good back up of a number of major sensors such as ICP, IPR, CPS,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online