Rumbling at 60mph

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Running around in the truck this weekend I noticed a rumbling that was most prevalent at 60mph. It's barely noticeable but it is there, nothing like a bad u-joint does. I replaced the clutch about 1k miles ago and at that time all the u-joints were fine. Front wheel bearings have been recently repacked. It seems to be coming from the front end but who knows. Possibly a bad rear wheel bearing? Any other ideas?

sootie

Reaction score
rear end?
undo the rear u-joint and check for pinion play. or else jack the back end up and use a doctors stethoscope to isolate the noise

superduty4x4

Reaction score
rear end?
undo the rear u-joint and check for pinion play. or else jack the back end up and use a doctors stethoscope to isolate the noise
That's kind of what I'm afraid of... if it is the rear end (or heck, could even be the front end) I might just start hunting for a set of 05+ SD axles.

sootie

Reaction score
That's kind of what I'm afraid of... if it is the rear end (or heck, could even be the front end) I might just start hunting for a set of 05+ SD axles.

look no further. i have a set of 05 axles sitting here on a rolled truck. i can also make you a deal if you need additional suspension parts to make them work. pm me if you want.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think I would recheck those front wheel bearings and if you have locking hubs make sure they are free.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I think I would recheck those front wheel bearings and if you have locking hubs make sure they are free.
Front wheel bearings were fully packed (both the little one up front and the big one in the back of the hub) within 100 miles. Locking hubs seem to be functioning properly but I'll check them again.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Fawkin kids... one of them must have locked my hubs in at some point. I haven't used 4WD since last winter and when I went out to check this weekend guess what... both hubs were locked in. Didn't get it up to over 60 but the problem seems to have gone away :doh:

Latest posts

Members online