Salvaging inner spindle shaft dust seal??

ToddEdge

Reaction score
While installing a leveling kit last night, I noticed 2 seals that were spinning with the axle shaft freely and clearly not installed. I believe these are called the inner spindle shaft seals, which is just a dust shield. I tried to push them in with a screwdriver but, could not get them to set correctly. I see most installing them with a special driver tool but, to do this, you have to remove the axle shafts. Is there a way to install these without tearing apart the front axle? Does Ford have some kind of tool to re-seat them while the axle shafts are on the truck? Here is a picture of mine and both are the same.

IMG_1588_zps81l27zeo.jpg

Last edited:

ToddEdge

Reaction score
**The dealer wants $652 to replace both seals. I'm just hoping there is a way to push the current seals back into place but, they are likely original and need to be replaced...

Zmann

Reaction score
just let em flop some Danas don't have any seal there

and when it comes time to do u joints or other work you can get the updated seals that fit tightly in to the axle housing vs riding on the axle shaft

Zmann

Reaction score
right side of pic = old and flopping around
bjwu_dust_seal_on_axle.jpg

new style inserts in to axle tube
attachment.jpg

florida 6.0

Reaction score
I cut mine off a long time ago . Biggest deal is they keep mud out of the axle tube if you go off road . It won't get into the differential just the tubes .

TyCorr

Reaction score
The crappy flippers are 50-120 each and they do nothing. If you can get the older style ones you pound in good otherwise waste of $$.

Op- you can remove the axle shafts pretty damn easy.

ToddEdge

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll just cut them off and whenever I do any major work on the front, I'll get the upgraded push in style seals.

Thanks - Todd

TyCorr

Reaction score
The only scenario that you'll encounter that chance will be ball joints and possibly the unitized bearings if you tear it all the way apart.

ToddEdge

Reaction score
The only scenario that you'll encounter that chance will be ball joints and possibly the unitized bearings if you tear it all the way apart.

Thanks. I've got a little slop in the steering so ball joints might be in the near future...

Latest posts

Members online