school me on the 5r's

boggerr

Reaction score
What is the shift pattern? I have been do some searching and I find it's a 3-5 shift. My truck I can count all the shifts and it hits 4th. Is it certain conditions for a 3-5 shift?

Also, how hard is it on the trans to have the adaptive learning shut off?

This is an 08 with gearhead tunes.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
There are 6 forward gears in a 5r. 4 and 5 are Interchanged. 4 is only used in cold conditions from what I understand. Normally it shifts 1-2, 2-3, 3-5, 5-6

boggerr

Reaction score
That's what I have been reading too. Trying to figure out if something is wacko with mine. If I count TC lock up I have 6 shifts hot or cold. Trans shifts nice until it relearns, then I get some shift flare but with the adaptive learning disabled it's a nice firm shift all the time. Just wondering why mine doesn't have a 3-5 shift.

sootie

Reaction score
your DOES have a 3-5 shift.

how did you disable adaptive relearn?

also-the second fourth gear is used for limp mode.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Stock trans files goes 1-2 2-3 3-5 5-6 and then when you hit a certain speed in 6th the TC will lock. It will also lock in 5th in tow haul. I know I get thrown off all the time because my mini max goes 1 through 5 gears on the gear indicator

Stroked777

Reaction score
there is a 6th and then the TC will lock, tc lock isnt a gear, it does change ratios because then it becomes a 1:1 ratio in relation to crank and input shaft speed, before TC lock the input shaft is spinning slower than the crank

boggerr

Reaction score
Stock trans files goes 1-2 2-3 3-5 5-6 and then when you hit a certain speed in 6th the TC will lock. It will also lock in 5th in tow haul. I know I get thrown off all the time because my mini max goes 1 through 5 gears on the gear indicator

I was going to hook AE up to watch shifts but the way you explained it makes sense. I thought the TC lock up was earlier.

Sootie was right, I have a 3-5 shift :doh:

Has anyone disable the adaptive learning? Wondering if it will harm the trans with it disabled.

1tonpower

Reaction score
Accentually the 5r is a 3 speed trans with a splitter. Like ever one else said 4th and 5th gear ratios are so close that it skips 4th. 4 fear is 1:1, 5th is 1.09:1..

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
your mini maxx isnt going to call it 3-5 and 5-6 that would just confuse pretty much 95% of the people using it. LOL
Exactly! Lol. Hell, just talking about the way this stupid trans shifts is confusing!
My scangauge reads them right
What did it say before the Twisted? 1-2-3-ummmm-6-4-5-27-18? Lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.